Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D path sweep : learning Revit

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cekuhnen
20801 Views, 6 Replies

3D path sweep : learning Revit

Hi there,

I am looking into how to rebuild furniture surfaces in revit

and struggle with creating 3d paths for the sweep tool to use.

is that now possible in the furniture template?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: cekuhnen

Revit is not the easiest tool to create (multiple)curved forms.

Drawing a path in 3 dimensions for a sweep is not possbile.

However it is possible to use pick path. You pick a path from another object to use that as the sweep path.

A good explanation of what I mean can be found in this post from Constatin. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/best-way-to-create-a-pipe-and-twists-in-several-non....

For more complex curved objects (e.g saddles)  many people resort to the massing tools or import those curved parts from Autocad or similar programs.

However by using those objects you normally get more limited in the use of parametric family design.

Sometimes you can get a good approach by "sticking" multiple simpler objects together or use combinations of sweeps, extrusions and voids.

So there are different way to reach your goal. The best solution will depend on the use of your family and parametric requirements.

As a last point. It is alway good to realize if you really need those complex shapes and if a simplified version will not do the job.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
cekuhnen
in reply to: L.Maas

Sorry for asking but where is the logical difference between a furniture family template and using the mass template? It seems to me the mass allows me to sketch more in 3D while furniture family does not.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 4 of 7

You can use 3d volumes as a helper for sweep path in Family too.

These volumes as described by Enlint can be  a combination with voids and they only guide with their edges the sweep path....

You can apply parameter to theese volumes and these parameters will be used also by the sweep element

A simplified example can be seen in my following screencast:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/78c3afaa-130b-4a9d-81c5-3f4fa84e8328

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
L.Maas

Basically a mass in Revit is something "completely" different form the normal revit families (like furniture).

As you can see it is one of the things that has a separate entry in Revit, and important it is called a conceptual mass.

Conceptual Masses, as the name implies, are more for conceptual design (think buildings, group of buildings).

You can further see the difference that the mass has its own sets of tools and that even the environment looks different, it is often referred to as the Conceptual Design Environment (CDE).

It is most times used for quick design studies. As the design develops Revit has the ability to convert those masses into walls, floors, roofs etc.

Masses can be used for other purposes of course but that is the main use/purpose.

All that said it is perfectly fine to create furniture in the CDE.

This often the case in Revit. There is no fixed way to solve things. Some ways might work better in your situation or fits better in youir workflow.

I usually do no concept studies and have limited use for organic shapes, therefore do not use the Mass tools that often.

However my advice would be to leave the the mass tools for some time later as it might be confusing in the beginning.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 7
chrisplyler

You can make a Mass family, if it's easier for you to model in that environment, and then nest that family into a Furniture family. In this way you'll have your mass creation inside a wrapper that still schedules like with the other furniture.

Message 7 of 7
Sahay_R

Have you tried to model in 3DS Max, export to a .dxf, and then import it into a furniture family? The more powerful modeling tools in 3DS Max might solve your problems (......and possibly create others)

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report