Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Orbit settings - center of rotation

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
trevorpan
22456 Views, 10 Replies

3D Orbit settings - center of rotation

Other than grab an item, is there a way to set the center of rotation?

At first I thought it was a large, linked, site cad file.  I found some extraneous remnants in autocad and removed them, so the linked file is tight to the site, however it is still several blocks large, unless an item is selected 3D orbit runs off the page!

More than frustrating.

Thank you,

Trevor Pan
http://www.trevorpan.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
derrickmoore
in reply to: trevorpan

You don't have to select the item, just hover over it so it highlights and 3D Orbit will use that as the center of rotstion
Message 3 of 11
trevorpan
in reply to: derrickmoore

Hi Rick,

I try that and it just it flips out of view.

Can you think of anything that would cause this? When the file was fresh, it rotated fine. As I created more elements it started doing this.

Thank you,
Trevor Pan
Message 4 of 11
loboarch

When you use the steering wheel navigation you can select a different pivot point for rotation without selecting an object.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 11
trevorpan
in reply to: loboarch

HI Jeff,

The orient to view, is what I was looking for. Boy, it sure was hard to look up in the help file. Always called something un-intuitive.

Anyhow, I thank you greatly.

Trevor Pan
Message 6 of 11
trevorpan

One more thing Jeff,

Can you set a point of rotation?

So, it seems unless orient to view was checked, as you helped me find, the point of rotation was the site plan, cad link. A few blocks away from this particular building.

I tried turning on the project base point, but it still utilized the center of cad file?

If you have a larger building at the master plan level, orient to view does the same thing..because the center of that view could be blocks away.

Maybe a new feature?

Just a few thoughts,

Trevor Pan
Message 7 of 11
loboarch

The Steering Wheel will allow you to reset the point of rotation in a view.

center_pivot.png

This should stay the pivot point of the view until you reset it.  It might reset if you close Revit/the project so you might have to reset the point each time you open the project.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 11
jason.welten

I've have a similar problem.

When I orbit using my mouse (Shirt + Wheel) I rotate around the model fine, then for no apparent reason it decides to randomly move the pivot point off in no mans land. If i close and re-open the view it resets back to the orginal pivot point, but this is frustrating to say the least. 

Is this a setting or a "known issue to Autodesk"?

Message 9 of 11
tonkata

Personally I have found either a "unclean" site surveys from a DWG to cause this issue, or at times I have accidentally added a component or a wall, not paying attention of it's base point, then finding a wall in mid space.
Message 10 of 11
carloacilo

This works!

Message 11 of 11
michael4cad

Spot on. This is the expected answer.

@loboarch wrote:

The Steering Wheel will allow you to reset the point of rotation in a view.

center_pivot.png

This should stay the pivot point of the view until you reset it.  It might reset if you close Revit/the project so you might have to reset the point each time you open the project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report