Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D DWG (lines only) into Revit for use as path.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
davidwilliamedwards
9632 Views, 27 Replies

3D DWG (lines only) into Revit for use as path.

Is it possible to import a 3D DWG (lines) to be used as a path for a sweep? I'm assuming (because I've found that it appears not to possible) that model lines must be assigned to a workplane and that "floating" 3D lines from a DWG aren't assigned workplanes and therefore can't be converted into Revit Model Lines.

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
wickedweka
in reply to: ecalzavara

Hi, Revit is getting on 20years old now. AutoCad was 20 years when Revit showed up. Maybe we should look forward to a new software solution - something that builds on the lessons of previous code and goes further. Could be that Revit under the hood is pretty messy!

Message 22 of 28

I agree , very simple processes are made pathetically complicated in revit . Revit is not meant for modelling tunnels . But some how I have managed to place tunnel rings along an alignment coordinates (which s an excel file ) . I could do it using dynamo .

Message 23 of 28
Shahid.masood
in reply to: kseniaPB

This process is very good only if there are a few points in  your alignment , If the points are above 1200 then this process in inefficient 

Message 24 of 28

So it's 2021....... Can we snap to 3d DWG yet?

I'm attempting to add adaptive points in a generic adaptive family to an impored 3d cad line. It's not working.

I'm sure i've tested this before and it works, but now when i try I cannot snap an adaptive point to a 3d dwg imported cad line. Any ideas anyone. Did I dream this was a thing?

Message 25 of 28
mattieb
in reply to: mattieb

For anyone still looking at this thread, I did find a solution a year or 2 back.

If you Extrude the 3d DWG line in AutoCAD or sweep a shape along it (make it a 3d element in AutoCAD) then you are able to PICK PATH when inserted into Revit .

Message 26 of 28
wickedweka
in reply to: mattieb

Thanks again Mattieb, proving again that 'the art of Revit is the art of
the workaround'!
Message 27 of 28

after decades, Revit still wont let you pick the DWG line to create surface, can t use 3d snapping. still force you to create thousands work planes.  

Message 28 of 28

Any update after some time? It's Revit 2023 already out there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report