Revit Architecture

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 1 of 4 (789 Views)
Accepted Solution

3d Dashed Line / Arrow Family ?

789 Views, 3 Replies
12-13-2013 04:37 AM

I'm building a couple of 3d massign models and a thought occured to me.

Is it possible to create a 3d dashed line family (ideally with a 3d arrow head graphic) that could be used via a drawn line in the model to act as a path ?

If possible, then parameters could be used to set height, depth, dash gap etc.

It would allow for quick 3d annotation on views - including shadows to help them 'pop'

Not quite sure where to start. I can use sweeps etc. but not sure if a family can use a path that is essentially outside of the family itself.

Could it even use an MEP family - based around something like a duct route, but substituting a dashed 3d form and a termination of an arrow ?

Not a critical item - just a thought on what might be possible.

Thanks,

Martin

OK - probably blindingly obvious to you lot, but it only dawned on me on the way home tonight.

Curtain Walling.

Just made a simple padded block cladding panel, and a couple of alternatives for arrow ends, and hey presto - flexible 3d arrow lines that can be altered to different depths, padding etc.

3d-Arrow-Lines.jpg

A bit clumsy as I have it set up for the moment, I need to refine things a bit to give myself more options on setting colour more universally by Type to allow me to switch whole runs from one colour / type to another - but as a principle it is what I'm after.

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 2 of 4 (759 Views)

Re: 3d Dashed Line / Arrow Family ?

12-13-2013 11:42 AM in reply to: MKEllis

OK - probably blindingly obvious to you lot, but it only dawned on me on the way home tonight.

Curtain Walling.

Just made a simple padded block cladding panel, and a couple of alternatives for arrow ends, and hey presto - flexible 3d arrow lines that can be altered to different depths, padding etc.

3d-Arrow-Lines.jpg

A bit clumsy as I have it set up for the moment, I need to refine things a bit to give myself more options on setting colour more universally by Type to allow me to switch whole runs from one colour / type to another - but as a principle it is what I'm after.

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 3 of 4 (736 Views)

12-14-2013 02:55 AM in reply to: MKEllis

Wasn't sure if accepting your own post as a solution is acceptable / or frowned on here - but it seemed appropriate, hope no-one minds.

Martin

*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 4 of 4 (715 Views)

12-14-2013 02:14 PM in reply to: MKEllis

Perfectly acceptable.  Thanks for the post.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!