Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit or 64 bit?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1024 Views, 4 Replies

32 bit or 64 bit?

Good day!
Is Revit Architecture 2008 only 32 bit or 64 bit software?
When I install Revit Architecture on 64 bit system which software (32 bit or 64 bit) I install?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

wrote in message news:5684648@discussion.autodesk.com...
Good day!
Is Revit Architecture 2008 only 32 bit or 64 bit software?
When I install Revit Architecture on 64 bit system which software (32 bit or
64 bit) I install?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

You still install the 32bits but it runs a lot better then on a 32bits OS because of the amount of memory and management that a 64bits OS can handle.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

So i shouldnt have a problem using 32 bit revit architecture on windows xp 64 bit?
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

You’re getting into a tricky area here. Until the 64-bit version arrives the 32-bit version of Revit should have no problem running on an x64 system, provided all the required drivers are available in their 64-bit iterations. Most 32-bit software will run quite happily on x64 via the emulation layer built in to the x64 OS. Do a search for “Wow64” for some background on how this works. Basically this layer translates the 32-bit instructions from the software into 64-bit instructions to the OS; the program (Revit) thinks it’s in a 32-bit environment. The implication of this is that as a result the program will not take advantage of the 64-bit address spaces and registers (translation: 64-bit performance), nor will a 32-bit thread operate outside the 2gb memory limit. However, programs written to take advantage of the 3gb memory switch are supposed to get a full 4gb of memory space in the x64 environment, but there’s still terribly little data on (if any) performance gains with Revit 08.

All of this also depends on whether your x64 system has more than 4gb of RAM installed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report