Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(2013) New Railing bug or just my imagination?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Milos_Vajdic
2819 Views, 11 Replies

(2013) New Railing bug or just my imagination?

Hi guys, I am trying to understand the railing system but have encountered few problems. Hopefully it is just my lack of knowledge that is the problem. 1) When I only have HANDRAIL selected (no posts or rails) it doesn't show up in my section views. Plan view and 3D are fine. If I add a post baluster post (start end for example) like in attached image 1, handrail appears in section view. 2) Even though in Handrail settings "plus tread" is selected and handrail extension length is 300mm. If I move my end/start post (using baluster offset settings) the 300mm length increases or decreases visually to something like image 1, while it remains "300mm" if post offset is set to 0. (see image 2) Why does handrail extension length changes when offsetting the post? Any comment or idea is welcome. I need to know if I am doing something wrong or "the factory" didn't think this trough. Regards, Milos
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
alan.quinn
in reply to: Milos_Vajdic

See my comment below.

1) When I only have HANDRAIL selected (no posts or rails) it doesn't show up in my section views. Plan view and 3D are fine.

My comments: Not so for me. I'm able to tab and select the rail in section.

If I add a post baluster post (start end for example) like in attached image 1, handrail appears in section view. 2) Even though in Handrail settings "plus tread" is selected and handrail extension length is 300mm. If I move my end/start post (using baluster offset settings) the 300mm length increases or decreases visually to something like image 1, while it remains "300mm" if post offset is set to 0.

My comments: I can't get it to show up like your. What Baluster Offset are you changing. The one in the Type Properties or in the Baluster Placement > Posts > Offset

(see image 2) Why does handrail extension length changes when offsetting the post? Any comment or idea is welcome. I need to know if I am doing something wrong or "the factory" didn't think this trough.

My comments: Same as #2 above.

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 12
Milos_Vajdic

What I meant to say was when creating a railing that only has a handrail element (no posts or anything else) that railing doesn't show up in section, yet it does in elevation views and 3D view. I checked VG settings and everything seems fine.

In attached file is the information about the railing and what baluster offset option makes the handrail extension change its length.

I also provide a link to a railing file in case it helps. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g7tqtzh1fkasur/test%201.rvt

Regards,

Milos

Message 4 of 12
alan.quinn

I can see your rail in sections, but when I click on it it appears as if on the rail is highlighted. However, in 3D the entire rail and posts are highlighted. Also, if you create a your hand rail off the stair and click on it in section it will all highlight. Do you see the same results?

Message 5 of 12
Milos_Vajdic

I can see the handrail as well now in my sections. How bizzare. I've done no setting change and now it shows up.

That still leaves the handrail extension issue, where it follows the balustrade offset by the looks of it and doesn't stay at a nominated length.

Reason why this is an issue is that under Australian Standards bottom of stairs must have handrail extending for one additional tread + 300.

If balustrade offset is changed to accomodate the baluster nominated 300 extension will change thus defeating the purpose of the function, since it can't be trusted to maintain proper length.

Regards,

Milos

Message 6 of 12
subpartner

This is possible a limitation in the feature in its current state. This may be a case where you need to have an additional rail potion at the bottom to create the desired results. It gets into work-a-round land but it will get the job done. Thanks again

Message 7 of 12
rkuffel

@Milos_Vajdic wrote:

I can see the handrail as well now in my sections. How bizzare. I've done no setting change and now it shows up.

I am able to reproduce this same item. It seems that if one only uses a Handrail System Family with no baluster or support, then the visibility appears to be inconsistent. If you add a baluster or Non-Continuous Handrail, the visibility is consistent. I guess it forces you to add a support to the handrail...

Message 8 of 12
robertlevy5725
in reply to: rkuffel

Not sure if this is related to the same problem, but If I create a ramp such as the one pictured in plan, the railing does not show up in plan!! ScreenShot201.jpgI realized that this happens because I have no rails listed in the rails list pictured here: ScreenShot202.jpg

This dialogue is accessed by clicking on the rail> click on the type properties>Rail Structure (non-continuous) "edit..." button. I am using the System family Handrail - Rectangular Out of the box "default" imperial template.

As soon as I add a railing to that list, the rails all of a sudden show up in plan! ScreenShot203.jpg Its magic! ScreenShot204.jpgNotice that the railings located at the landing of the ramp still do not show up. This can be fixed by simply raising the height of my newly created non-continuous handrail like this: ScreenShot205.jpgnotice I just changed the rail height to 1' and now magic again.

ScreenShot206.jpgcrazy stuff. I will say that I don't have the Revit architecture update 2 yet, so they may have fixed this since that update. I will find out shortly.

Message 9 of 12

The default railing type has only a top rail, that in Revit 2013 is a separate element from the rest of the railing. By default, this railing is not visible in plan view when the detail level is set to "coarse". If you change it to "medium" or "fine" you will see it. If you add a new rail in the dialog box just to see the railing in plan, you are actually modifying the design of the railing type.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 12

I just updated to the new update # 2 for Revit 2013 and now the railing shows up ok to me.

I have placed my view set to "coarse":

ScreenShot207.jpg

Autodesk must have known users were experiencing this and fixed it.Thank you for all the comments Alfredo. I'm a happy man after update #2. Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 12

But was it fixed because of service pack 2 or because you changed the detail level from coarse to medium?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 12 of 12

It was definitely fixed because of service pack 2. I just updated it and did the exact same routine. started a blank file, created a ramp. hit finish button. I changed nothing. I have my view set to "coarse" and the railing displays properly.

ScreenShot208.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report