Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Indexes and Revision Schedules - Why are they disconnected?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ahaney
14266 Views, 9 Replies

Sheet Indexes and Revision Schedules - Why are they disconnected?

Recently while working on a project with various consultants in Revit I came up with what I thought was a pretty intuitive method for creating/managing a sheet index that "automatically" (with minimal input) upodated over the course of a project.  It worked really well, but as I sit back and watch the project shift from CD release to Addendum to Bulletin I find myself wondering why the underlying systems I used to drive this method weren't already interrelated within Revit to begin with.  After all, when does an architecture firm formally release full drawings without a sheet index or without an associated revision?

Now that I’ve established the premise I’ll describe the process I created.  It’s going to sound convoluted and complicated but that’s only because it’s not built in to the software to begin with.  It functions very efficiently after its setup.  The end result is a sheet index that includes sheets from linked sheets from every discipline’s model that populate the index automatically and correctly display the drawing release (the revision) each sheet is associated with by displaying a bullet in a particular revisions column.  Some sheets were there from the very beginning, some sheets came in later in the production process.  Image 1 below shows a clip of the end result of this system; a highly common arrangement of the index of drawings that Revit is incapable of creating without the setup described below.

• Each bullet is essentially driven by two parameters; a YES/NO project parameter named for a revision and associated with “SHEETS” and a formulated parameter that actually creates the bullet.  For example, for a revision called “BID/PERMIT” I’ve got a YES/NO parameter called “Submittal – Permit” and a formulated parameter called “Permit Set Date” named to be generic and to provide a prompt to the user to rename it with the actual release date.  In this case “Permit Set Date” gets renamed to “08/24/2014 - BID/PERMIT” to show correctly on the cover sheet. 
  • When a sheet is deemed to be in a “revision” (in the Revit sense) release the checkbox is checked in that sheet’s properties.  Each sheet to be shown on the index is also told to “Appear in sheet list” which is also a Y/N built in to each sheet in Revit, although I actually created an additional Y/N parameter to drive this called, “Appears in Schedule”.  The sheet index is then filtered by “Appears in Schedule” equals “Yes.”
  • Now, of course each release also has to appear on the titleblock of each sheet.  This is where the actual revisions come in to play.  Each release gets a formal Revit revision that is then added to the sheet either via the “Revisions on Sheet” edit window (or in this case via a great Xrev Freebies product Xrev UpRev) if the release happens before revision clouds are necessary, or directly driven by revision clouds if they exist.

Do you see my issue here?  These two things, the Revisions and the sheet index/the parameters that drive it are all separate even though they are inherently interrelated.  To do one release that automatically schedules in this common form of sheet index I have to create 2 parameters and a revision and then I have to go to a sheet and add the revision to it and check the box to include it in that revision.

I’m suggesting that these two systems be inherently linked inside Revit.  When I create a revision in Revit the program should automatically create: a Yes/No parameter as a sheet instance property and a formulated schedule parameter driven by that Y/N that shows up as an addable field in any “Sheet List” schedule.  Everything should be driven by the revisions window (Image 2 below).

In writing this I found an even easier software tweak that would allow this to happen. The previously mentioned “Revisions on Sheet” button that each sheet has (under Identity Data on the properties pallet) is a way to add revisions to a sheet without having a revisions cloud on that sheet. These for some reason cannot be accessed as fields in the Sheet Index.  Simply allowing these to be scheduled would be half of the change I’m suggesting.  Image 3 below shows the “Revisions on Sheet” window next to the custom Y/N parameters I created for this project.  After that the formulated parameter would still need to be created.

If the Sheet Issues/Revisions system currently in Revit could drive all of this (Image 2 below) it would also solve the issue I had of moving these custom parameters between files (I had to use an empty project with only these parameters in them to transfer project parameters to my consultant/engineers files).  All you’d have to do is link a consultant’s file, or conversely all a consultant would have to do is link your file into theirs, and go to manage, transfer project standards, and select “Revision Settings” since you can transfer project standards of linked files without actually opening said linked files.

This feels very straight forward to me, but I’ve been dealing with it for a while.   I’d love to see Sheet Issues/Revisions and Sheet Lists synchronized in Revit. Thoughts?

Image 1: 

Image 1

Image 2:

Image 2

Image 3:

Image 3

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
L.Maas
in reply to: ahaney

Thanks for your idea. It is an interesting way to do it.

Fortunately in my case a sheet with the current revisions/revision dates is sufficient and those are easy to extract from Revit.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 10
ahaney
in reply to: L.Maas

Yeah it would be nice if that were acceptable for this project.  I've certainly seen it done that way in the past as well, but I think at minumum being able to schedule the "Revisions on Sheet" fields would be great. 

Message 4 of 10
shawn.p.phillips

So just to verify your methodology here, you are creating custom shared parameters for the revisions to show up as check boxes in the sheet options that are NOT actually linked to the project's revision list, correct?  So when you create a new revision/submittal, you have to also create a corresponding revision check box shared paramter for the sheet.  Thats how I was doing it when I found your article.  I don't like the idea of doing it twice.  Troublesome that Adesk hasn't built this simple capability into Revit by now.

Message 5 of 10
tbrautigam

I've done this as well and everything has been working great.........until now.  The only issue that I'm running into now is that in our sheet index we show all of the disiplines.  The problem is that since we are able to show linked file sheets and everything looks great but since no "sheet" actually resides in the model, the checkboxes that I have in order to show the submittal and revised sheets don't show up.  So I can't add the submittal dot to any of the consultant files, short of actually adding a placeholder sheet for each consultant sheet or adding a filled region to each box where one would be.  Has anyone ever run into this issue and found a way around it?

It would be great if there was a built-in option to the sheet index schedule where you could add columns at will for revisions similar to the way you can add multiple leaders to keynotes and such.  

Message 6 of 10
dtiemeyer
in reply to: tbrautigam

I agree 100% with the original post, we need to do exactly this, and I can't believe this isn't native functionality in Revit at this point.

Furthermore, I'd love to see the Revisions have a 'Revision Value' (that goes into the triangle Rev Tag) that is not the same as the 'Sequence'. Regularly we will need to draw for 'Bulletin 3' then 'Bulletin 7'. Why cant sequence be simply the order and there still be a separate value for # associated with the Addendum/Bulletin?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 7 of 10
GlynnisVP

I agree about the disconnect in this process, and at the request of customers I ended up researching this workflow extensively.  This specific request (to schedule the Revisions on Sheet) was asked of us so often that we ended up adding this into our Ideate BIMLink 2014 release.  It is documented here, for reference:  http://ideatesoftware.com/files/help/desktop/IBL_Content/How_To/Manage_Sheet-based_Revisions.htm

If you are interested in seeing how it works, it is documented here:  https://youtu.be/IG-JcLcSTh8?list=PLrPZHp9xQEYpplYiKbzpoLEnAHOw9hhUi

Regards,

Glynnis Patterson

www.ideatesoftware.com

Message 8 of 10
sara.kudra

Does anyone know if this function has been integrated into 2018 or 2019 release? 

Message 9 of 10
richard.walker

Really like you idea but with regard to the "Permit Set Date” named to be generic and to provide a prompt to the user to rename it with the actual release date." Am i too cheeky in asking how exactly you create this formula? 

Message 10 of 10
Michelle_Chedraui

Hi all. This is exactly what I am looking for. Is there a video that I can reference how to make the sheets show the dots per revision on the index schedule? THANK YOU!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report