Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit save error - "failed to save document" and "file not saved"

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dglasgow
5036 Views, 1 Reply

Revit save error - "failed to save document" and "file not saved"

When trying to save a revit 2012 file back to the network as a new central file, file saves to full size, then gives error "failed to save document" and then "file not saved". When this happens, other network users report slow network speed.

Testing, We were not able to save to another open permissions folder on the same server.

Testing, we were able to save to central locally on the c:\ drive. Also, we were able to save to a new central on another physically different server share.

Also, same thing happens from another local pc using a different login user.

We tried auditing the file as well as purging with no change. We have tried with 3 different large revit files (150MB to 180MB) from different projects and get the same result.

We tested a new blank central file, and it DID work. We also tested an existing 18MB revit file and it worked.

We ARE able to manually copy the file onto the server with windows explorer, but just not able to save it as a new central file onto the server.

The server is a windows 2003 file server. The clients are windows 7 64-bit. The file server has 36GB of free space out of a 173GB drive. I am currently running a defrag on the drive as we were suspicious of this, but so far, nothing has changed.

UPDATE: I deleted another 50+GB of data from the file server. This created 91GB of free space on a 173GB drive. After this, I was able to save the central file to the network. The central file was 170MB, so why did I need more than 90GB of free space to be successful?

There wasn’t any issue of high latency. Doing network traces during the issue showed very low latency. Also, just so there is no confusion, all of this was local to a single branch office with the servers all located in the same branch as the clients, so there was no WAN interaction during this problem.

Regular file transfer throughput for file copy in windows explorer was exceptionally fast compared with the save file to network as central.

The windows temp folders (of both the server and the client stations tested during this problem) were all emptied after the first report of the problem, as we considered that possibility, so that was not an issue.

I am really interested in hearing the potential for a fragmented server network disk as a potential cause. I wonder if this could have been the cause and what the revit save as option is doing differently that would have this error versus a normal windows copy?

Has anyone seen this type of behavior?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
PALemkuil
in reply to: dglasgow

I was Experiencing this same error. The way I found that fixed it for me was I cleared out the auto-backup files, (project_name.0001) that were created whenever I saved. 

I closed my drawing, cleared out the backups, and reopened. I am no longer experiencing the error. Now I just delete most of the backups. I also save more often.

Hope this Helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report