Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Lines cannot intersect each other. The highlighted lines currently intersect."

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
36852 Views, 13 Replies

"Lines cannot intersect each other. The highlighted lines currently intersect."

I keep getting this frustrating error message while drawing. I'm presently trying to create a family type where parts drawn in the working plane using the "rectqangle" tool abut each other at a right angle. those of you familiar with this situation know that Revit offers almost no useful help in correcting the problem. Unlike AutoCad applications, the lines drawn using the rectangle tool  appear to be handled by the Revit software as 4 separate and independent lines rather than a rectangle in which all lines are highlighted when the rectangle is selected. Does anyone know of a simple method of resolving this conflict or getting useful direction on how to correct the problem?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

Can  you post an image of the sketch where you're getting the error?  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Usually that error message has something to do with either overlapping lines or lines that need to be trimmed out (to create a closed boundary) while in sketch mode.

And just for future reference, Revit doesn't draw "shapes" per se, but rather uses shapes a starting points for a boundary.  It's not exactly like a polyline from CAD, but by tab-selecting the chain of lines, you get a finer level of control over your selection.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Had I thought ahead, I could have attached the actual trouble maker, but I resolved the problem in a more convoluted manner in order to finish the assignment. I've continually run into this exasperating situation of "overlapping" and "Intersecting" errors. I get the meaning of the warning, but find no assistance in the software in resolving the problem and moving on with the work. Thanks for your time and effort to assist!

Here's the basic idea: two parallel vertical rectangles drawn to define an area. Join them with another (or more) rectangles drawn perpendicular between them and using snaps to define the common boundaries. It will occur when there are several instances of such abutments within the element being defined and not identify all such intersections as being a problem - sometimes, only one. Efforts to re-draw the offending portion usually results in the same error message leaving me stimied and un-productive.

Message 4 of 14
loboarch

Based on your description of the shape you were drawing when you recieved the error, I think the problem is, you are not creating what Revit would define as a "closed loop sketch".  When sketching the shape for an object most of the time Revit wants a closed loop.  If segments are overhanging at the corners, not completly closed, have overlapping lines, or have a "short circuit" in the sketch, you will get an error message like you are describing.

2 rectangles placed next to each other with a co incident edge would create 2 conditions for this error.  You would end up with overlapping lines at the co-incident edge, and you would have created the "short circuit" with the line for the edge where the 2 rectangles are co incident.

If you need 2 rectangle objects like this side by side with a co incident edge, you will need to draw the 2 itmes seperatly in Revit.

On another note when you use the rectangle tool in Revit it does draw 4 seperate line segments.  You can however pick them all at one time by pressing the "tab" button as you hover over one of the lines.  "Tab" selects the "chain" of lines connected to the segment you are hovering over.  This will work on wals and things connected in a linear form too.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

I'm still a bit befuddeled, Jeff. How do you go about drawing the extrusion boundary without the lines intersecting/overlapping? I'm trying to model a simple bookcase using extrusions. I have drawn the vertical sides' faces and extruded them. Next, on the same work plane, I draw the horizontal shelf boundary between the sides using the snaps where the shelf meets the sides to establish its length. This is where I get the error message. Are you saying that in order to do what I'm attempting, it is necessary to shorten the shelf so that it doesn't touch the sides as it would in the real world?

Message 6 of 14
loboarch

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Jeff, got a response (I think), but the only thing in it is the original subject line - nothing more. I'm interested in any info you can provide.

Message 8 of 14
loboarch

Sorry about the blank post.  I was posting from IE 9 and forgot it does not play well with lots of discussion forums including this one.

From the way I am understanding the issue you are having, the problem is you are attempting to extrude the vertical potions of the bookshelf at the same time you are extruding the horizontal portion of the bookshelf.  You can't do this.  These need to be done in 2 seperate extrude actions.

The 2 vertical portions can be extruded as one piece because the sketch rectangles have no overlapping or co-incident edges.  You draw them as 2 totally seperate "rings" in the sketch.  Then finish the extrude command to get the vertical portions of the bookshelf.

Now you can start the extrude command to create the horizontal.  Now this sketch edge can be set right against the inner faces of the extrusion used for the vertical portions (it can overlap in fact).  With this sketch done you can finish the extrusion.

I created a screen cap movie to explain how to make what I think you are trying to accomplish.  At the end of the movie I show what I think you are doing and how you are getting the error.

http://www.screencast.com/t/mXMXyXpTdQ

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, Jeff. Lesson learned. I thought I'd done the horizontal and vertical members separately, but obviously, that wasn't the case.

Message 10 of 14
hbello79

I'm having a similar issue, in Revit 2014 in plan view, where detail lines do not show as touching each other; i.e. in rectangles.  But they are intersecting in fact, as when I highlight they do show. I don't get an error message though. this must be some kind of visibility setting.  someone help.

@Anonymouswrote:

I keep getting this frustrating error message while drawing. I'm presently trying to create a family type where parts drawn in the working plane using the "rectqangle" tool abut each other at a right angle. those of you familiar with this situation know that Revit offers almost no useful help in correcting the problem. Unlike AutoCad applications, the lines drawn using the rectangle tool  appear to be handled by the Revit software as 4 separate and independent lines rather than a rectangle in which all lines are highlighted when the rectangle is selected. Does anyone know of a simple method of resolving this conflict or getting useful direction on how to correct the problem?

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

How can I stop this lines cos this is what I'm currently facing.

Thanks

Message 12 of 14
Dann700

Create two or many distinct elements (not family) by extrusion which can be moved or joined to each other... without any error!!!

Message 13 of 14
MMorales204

This is also an issue using fillets, The lines are not intersecting, even get the edge/end box where they are recognized to be touching but not overlapping, I start with a rectangle, and then have another line going from there, and it contines to throw errors for the same things over and over. Only happens when modeling in place.

Message 14 of 14
lauraRHYBK

I am also continually getting this issue. I've tried about 4 different methods of modelling in place and the way I am copying or creating my lines for my extrusion and no luck. 

Very frustrating. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report