Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precisely Dividing 3D Views

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
BigPicture045
384 Views, 10 Replies

Precisely Dividing 3D Views

I need to precisely divide 3D views for 3D printing. I have been using scope boxes, however, I do not know how to precisely align the extents of the scope box and I am dependent on the handles which are not precise. For example I want to divide a building in half vertically and horizontally, giving me 4 parts. 

What would be the best method to do this with precision? 

I need it to be horizontally and vertically alienable to plan dimensions. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
syman2000
in reply to: BigPicture045

Have you check out coin auto-section box? This plugin allows you to select the scopebox and generate 3d section box from it. It is quick and easy once you get the hang of the plugin.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=8920075109543819118

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 11
ToanDN

If you are okay with divide the building in 2 instead of 4 then it can work.

Place a grid line where you want to split > Place 2 opposing Framing Elevations at the grid > set each of your 3d view to Orient to one of the elevation view.

ToanDN_2-1691088259638.png

ToanDN_1-1691088224074.png

ToanDN_0-1691088167998.png

Message 4 of 11
BigPicture045
in reply to: ToanDN

This is a good solution for vertical alignment cut, however, once inside the section box, the top and bottom extents - I can only set those with the handles. This means that the horizontal cuts are not precise. 

Message 5 of 11
ToanDN

Maybe export the entire model and slice the STL in AutoCAD or whatever program that can edit it.

Message 6 of 11

In Revit 2024 I think the scope box has a height parameter now that can be altered directly.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 7 of 11

Thanks - I will look into this. It just occurred to me that for Revit not to have this ability would be quite ironic because its so centered around 3D modeling. HaHahahaha. 

Message 8 of 11

Well conceptually the scope box is meant to define part a, part b and they usually overlap some for adjacent context in views. As such a scope box is more like a sketch...here's part A and over there is part b... Using it to slice up the model precisely for 3D printing was still a "dream" for the average person/firm when Revit got started 🙂

Edit: another thought just popped into my head 🙂  What if you create a mass element for each portion that you want to slice precisely. Use the Selection Box tool to crop the 3D view down to a mass scope element, hide the mass and then print to STL. It doesn't have to be a mass, any element that describes the precise portion of the building x/y/z you want to isolate and print. More or less a manual approach like what was described earlier using the COINS Selection box app.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 9 of 11
ToanDN
Message 10 of 11
L.Maas

I would use Dynamo for this. Basically let dynamo create a 3d View with a section box based on coordinates.

Hereunder a concept

LMaas_0-1691131465450.png

LMaas_1-1691131573524.png

You could further extend this sctrpt by creating multiple views with corresponding coordinates

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 11 of 11
RSomppi

3D views can be oriented and cropped to the extents of other views. The extents of plan views can be set-up precisely and then used to orient 3D views.

Orient to a View.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report