Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling planning envelopes in Revit.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mjh_davis
1169 Views, 7 Replies

Modelling planning envelopes in Revit.

mjh_davis_0-1622361471824.png

Planning envelopes are important in every state in my country and many others in greater Europe.  A design is more likely to be built if it conforms to some of these council or authority requirements and fits inside diagrams such as the one above. 

It is not a sexy topic, nor is it of interest to juniors, and trolls, but is of great interest to millions of professional architects over the world.  My study of Revit through courses, text books, tutorials, and including these forums reveals there does not seem to be much about it so far. 

Archicad has a dedicated set of tools to deal with such planning issues where one can drape a pink envelope over a design. 

Terrain form survey data comes from a land surveyor and can be easily modelled in Revit, there is a lot on that and it is easy.   One can draw a series of model lines on the boundaries and setback lines across the terrain, these can be raised to the required heights using profile modeler,  but a problems occurs when it comes to copying the terrain to the upper level or in the illustration 8.5m height as each segment has a different angle of attack per say.  The existing terrain is important base and the town planners want to see how its "roof" when raised is penetrated or not by the design, often sites, depending on the bylaws, have a cap and some can be difficult to build on if a site has considerable slope.  It can be a bad idea to do excavation, pre-design before the planning envelope is established, but that is incidental to the purpose of this exercise. 

An approach can be taking the terrain out of Revit into SketchUp or regular AutoCAD or Archicad to make up the lines and heights in a mesh with the 45 degree champers from the springing points and cut through the upper mesh.  On then can drop it back into Revit with a transparency is one way of modelling it where one can use massing and site and get an accurate upper roof.  The coordinates of entry have to be exact in height and location and grid lines help with this. Often council may disagree with how the envelope has been constructed and ask for revisions. 

mjh_davis_2-1622364261821.png

An example of an envelope from a different municipality. 

Revit is ok for using the massing and site/terrain tool in 3d but there is a difficulty where both ground and planning envelope terrain can block out a section with a hatch in elevations in some templates, and this is a tough route using VG and blocks, to separate the terrains out without having to redraw model lines all over a section if it moves.  The sections and elevations are where levels and lines may need to be dimensioned and annotated with levels to prove to the planners that the design is inside the envelope. 

The lines of the "roof and champers", as the illustration are useful in these sections and elevations but not the internal hatch which Revit defaults to, have also tried using a separate file to model the terrain and that works to a point, but it feels pretty clumsy. 

mjh_davis_1-1622363537972.png

One day the Revit developers will put their put their minds to a set of tools for such purposes as do their competitor, if enough professional architects request it.   

I remain curious if anybody has an efficient work flow around for these "planning envelopes" that they would like to share ways it could be done better in Revit?   

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RDAOU
in reply to: mjh_davis

@mjh_davis wrote:

It is not a sexy topic, nor is it of interest to juniors, and trolls, but is of great interest to millions of professional architects over the world.  My study of Revit through courses, text books, tutorials, and including these forums reveals there does not seem to be much about it so far. 

I believe the figure "Millions" is an overly exaugurated figure and since you bluntly excluded "JUNIORS" and trolls, I assume you are a Senior Professional; hence, I shouldn't need to elaborate

The developers introduced Dynamo with which you can do that (what you briefly described and referred to as Planning Envelop) and much more. Maybe not everything one can dream of because then I would be exaggerating but at least anything which the API allows for.

Of course there will be a TROLL jumping in and arguing "WHY one has to learn dynamo or WHY Architects/Engineers have to learn coding"...Personally my reply would be: Heavens will, DON'T! but when you hire, also don't hire a Junior to do the Job or a Master (ie: Master of the/a trade)

Cheers

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

I read that you have two struggles:  (1) modeling a drape and (2) present it together with the building

1 - Modelling: It depends on the complexity of the topo and the planning drape.  You can split a topo, convert it to a hardscape using Dynamo, modify sub-elements, add/change points elevations to shape of the planning drape.  You can also create a mass form/surface using a grid of points with different elevations. 

2 - Presentation :  Revit provides you with enough tools to present the drape over the building and show where they clash:  3D section box, (semi) transparency by materials or by graphics override.  I don't understand the need to draw model lines mentioned in your process.

Now we can agree that Revit does not have a single tool purposely built to get it done like ArchiCAD, but the upside of doing it manually over automation is that you have more controls for specific conditions.

Message 4 of 8
mjh_davis

Try this link.   

https://qarcsystems.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/QARCsystems-CreatingBuildingEnvelope-V2.pdf?fb...  

An intelligent well laid out answer to the question.   

Thank you ARCetype. 

mjh_davis_0-1629450035489.png

Message 5 of 8
mjh_davis

No new staff or Dynamo.

"you have a full building envelope
with sloping step-ups to totally dazzle your
local authority’s planning department."

To the 3 to 4 million Architects in the world.
Message 6 of 8
markkukola

• Ensure the existing toposurface is set to existing phase & name EXG
  • Copy EXG, paste to same place & name NEW
  • Copy NEW, paste to same place, name ENVELOPE & move up to required height at boundary
  • Split surface of ENVELOPE at boundary. Delete external portion
  • Copy ENVELOPE up to internal maximum height (ENVELOPE 2)
  • Edit surface of ENVELOPE & delete all internal points
  • Create Railing with a 45 Deg plane along the boundary & Pick New Host to ENVELOPE
  • Set site plan to Consistent Colors
  • Split surface of ENVELOPE 2 at intersection of railing plane. Either do this separately for each boundary side or all in one go. Delete external portion(s)
  • Copy ENVELOPE 2 & paste to same place (ENVELOPE 3)
  • Merge ENVELOPE with ENVELOPE 2 (Untick Remove points on common edges) to create PLANNING ENVELOPE
  • Split surface of PLANNING ENVELOPE at boundary if required. Delete external portion
  • Adjust colour & transparency of PLANNING ENVELOPE material. make ENVELOPE 3 material transparent

markkukola_0-1632385812442.png

Message 7 of 8
mjh_davis
in reply to: markkukola

Using the railing tool is a great idea, Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
cvoo0001
in reply to: markkukola

Hi 

Can you please do a step to step explanation showing how to make a 45 degree railing 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report