Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make revit model ready to laser cut

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rasmushornung
2566 Views, 8 Replies

Make revit model ready to laser cut

I am in architecture school and a lot of our projects needs to be laser cut into physical models. 

What is the easiest way to make your revit project ready to be laser cut?

is there a plug-in for unrolling surfaces or something like that?

thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

What software is running your laser cutter?  

Message 3 of 9

Cut-it

its based around curves. We usually hand draw every curve in rhino (which is a tedious project for bigger buildings) 

I saw a dynamo plugin, that exported the faces that you choose to a drafting view (which kinda works) but it is sadly outdated

Message 4 of 9
RDAOU
in reply to: rasmushornung

@rasmushornung 

If by "outdated"  you are referring to the packages and node,  you can always download the newer packages and put the graph back together from the new nodes, it shouldn't be that hard...or download an older version of dynamo and the previous versions of the packages

You mentioned that you usually use Rhino for such task,... If your project is originally in Rhino / not in Revit, why not use grasshopper to unroll curves/surfaces!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: rasmushornung

Revit is not really set up for this workflow. I have done it in the past by exporting a view of the model/part to a DWG and then using that DWG for the laser cutter. It is a pretty manual process.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 9
RDAOU
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch 

@Karambaki  has quite some neat dynamo nodes for similar application in the Synthesize package … you should try it 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: RDAOU

I have not worked on one of those projects for quite some time now, but it might be worth looking into next time.  😀

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 9
Karambaki
in reply to: RDAOU

Thank you for the mention @RDAOU 

@rasmushornung  @loboarch 
I've recently simplified the process even more.
Here's a documented video of the process ... It is in Arabic language, but anyone can understand it by simply following it.
https://www.aecedx.com/blog/revit/karam/k-laser-cutting-in-revit/

Karam Baki
Architect, Revit Guru, ACI

Facebook | Students' Work | LinkedIn

E-Mail : karam@aecedx.com

Message 9 of 9
jan.debieMA2QR
in reply to: Karambaki

amazing.

how can we get these scripts? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report