Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked RVT model exports to CAD Block

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ryant_cook
2552 Views, 11 Replies

Linked RVT model exports to CAD Block

How does Revit determine what layers to export CAD blocks onto? Yes, the block itself is on Layer 0, but the layers within that block assume different colors than what the DWG/DWF settings prescribe.

Basically, I have linked the architectural model into a new model for an Interior designer to generate elevations and other plans. This was done as a precaution so she would not accidentally delete or modify something architectural. Additionally, this allows me to re-export sheets in the future that would reflect any changes to the arch model.

Now when trying to export these views to CAD, everything from the ARCH model comes in as a block with random colors assigned. The layer names are correct per the DWG/DWF export settings, but the colors assigned are not following those settings. 

CAD plot settings assign line weights based on these colors, so I am trying to avoid modifying all of these blocks repetitively.

Any solutions other than binding the revit link? That would defeat the purpose of linking the ARCH model into the ID model...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ryant_cook
in reply to: ryant_cook

another layer of intrigue (pun intended)....modifying block, change all layers to "By category" for color, save changes to block...all layers assume correct colors as assigned by DWG/DWF. 

Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 12
Corsten.Au

HI.

do you get " pcp" file exported along with 'DWG" while exporting?

Check the export folder..

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 4 of 12
Corsten.Au

Hello

This is where Revit Determines the Properties and color and naming convention, Layers, etc while exporting to CAD..

Export PropertiesExport PropertiesLayer naming and color standardLayer naming and color standard

Export settingsExport settings

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 5 of 12
barthbradley

@ryant_cook wrote:

another layer of intrigue (pun intended)....modifying block, change all layers to "By category" for color, save changes to block...all layers assume correct colors as assigned by DWG/DWF. 

Smiley Surprised

I'll bet you surprised yourself.  Probably did an air guitar in triumph.  I do the same. Smiley Wink  

Message 6 of 12
ryant_cook
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Ganesh - Thank you for the response. 

I'm not sure what the highlights were indicating but the setting that fixed this quirk for me was on the drop down for "Export Layer Options" - "Export all properties BYLAYER, but do not export overrides"

Message 7 of 12
ryant_cook
in reply to: barthbradley

Barthbradley - I was thrilled for that discovery! Smiley LOL

Maybe you already know this, but changing the DWG/DWF setting for ["Export Layer Options" to "Export all properties BYLAYER, but do not export overrides"] bypasses the step of editing the blocks individually too

Message 8 of 12
Corsten.Au

That’s good to know.

i was just showing the location ( all those drop down options ) to test with.

I asked about “ pcp” files... any idea about those?

Cheers

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 9 of 12
ryant_cook

The recent batch of exports did not generate a PCP file, but one of the attempts from yesterday did create one. 

What would be the benefit of utilizing that file?

I would prefer to only modify the DWG/DWF settings in Revit for proper exports and avoid any extra steps after..

Message 10 of 12
Corsten.Au

1. Consider some category ( furniture for example ) is yellow in Revit file ( plan view ).

2. Exporting CAD will generate layers etc 

3. When someone prints from that CAD file, they will get complete different colours and line thickness from original Revit file view..

4. Printing from CAD requires correct CTB file and because each drawing and views are different .. one ctb file is not going to help..

thats where those “ pcp” files come into picture. PCP file saves all the data for colour and line thickness. And while giving CAD files to external consultant to someone who’s not using Revit but relying on CAD file, they can create CTB file using those pcp file and achieve/match all those line types, color, thickness visible in Revit without using Revit...

idea Es is just export the cad with consistent standard settings.. 

else use those pcp file to generate CTB and use that CTB in Autocad to get the output right..

best luck

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 11 of 12
ryant_cook

Okay great, thank you for the example Ganesh. That will be great to provide to outside consultants in the future.

In this particular situation, our Interior Designer (ID) is in house so I am trying to reduce some of the CAD work by matching her expected CAD layer colors. Essentially, I have created a new DWG/DWF export settings to match the ID's expected layer colors.

Message 12 of 12
Corsten.Au

Cool.

you may pick one of your own replies and make it “ accepted solution “.

for future Revit users to find that particular solution,

cheers 

Corsten
Building Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report