Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Coding a foundation plan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lorissa
251 Views, 9 Replies

Color Coding a foundation plan

I have a slab on grade foundation which has varying levels.  Firstly, I'm trying to show the foundation plan with my view range somewhere within the slab.  However, from what I can find, cutting through a slab in a plan view will not show the cut pattern.   If I set the view range at the top of the slab, it shows bits of wall that are at the lower slab levels, which looks terrible.  

Secondly, if I do set the view range at the middle of the slab, is there any way to color code the plan such that each level is a different color, without relying on rooms (there are no rooms in a slab), or materials (the cut pattern doesn't show)?    Paint doesn't seem to work, as there is no surface to paint.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
barthbradley
in reply to: lorissa

Just hide the stuff above the slab that you don't want to be displayed in the view.  Mission Accomplished. No?

Message 3 of 10
lorissa
in reply to: barthbradley

Not completely.  I can do that, but I still want to color code it somehow, to show levels.  I can't change the material, as its all the same material, and I don't want it to show up that way in my other plans, and there are still no rooms to color code.  Isn't there some way to just paint the area in this view only?

Message 4 of 10
barthbradley

Override Graphics in View: By Element.  

Override Visibility and Graphic Display of Individual Elements | Revit 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Net...

...BTW: you can easily create a Room with Room Separation lines as the bounding elements. You don't need walls, roofs, etc.  And the Color Scheme/Legend will work just the same way in the View.   Spaces are also an option.  The only issue I see as an impediment here would be the View Range height. You say your View is capturing multiple LEVELS. Do you mean that literally? 

Floor Color Scheme.png 

Message 5 of 10
lorissa

My slab has recessed areas, one at 2.5" below the First Floor Level, and the other is 6" below.  I set the view range at 0 (First Floor), and overrode the graphics per element, still no color appearing.  The default material pattern disappears, but the solid hatch color does not show up.  Then I set it at 1/16" above the floor, just to see if it was still considering 0 as a cut....same result.  No color.

Message 6 of 10
barthbradley

Change your View Range Settings so they capture every slab.  

View Range.png

...I'm unclear how you've set up this View. Post your File here. It will help me to help you.  

Message 7 of 10
lorissa

Transparency on the Pattern Override was set at 0, which to me would me no transparency, i.e. solid.  I changed it to 50% and the color now shows up.  

Message 8 of 10
barthbradley

Like I said above, I'm unclear how you set up the View. Sounds like you've been playing with a bunch of different settings.  For instance, if you assigned a Color Scheme to the View Foreground, this would have hierarchy over any other overrides that you applied to the Category/Element Surface Pattern.   

BTW: Zero (0) Transparency means no Transparency. 

You're welcome to post your file.  

Message 9 of 10
lorissa

I got the Override Patterns suggestion to work.  I didn't realize that option was available, so thank you for showing me something new.  

Lorissa

Message 10 of 10
Prvoime

Isn't this easily solvable with view filters, or am I missing something (see attached file)?

If I set the view range at the top of the slab, it shows bits of wall that are at the lower slab levels, which looks terrible.

Hide the walls category?

Slab.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report