Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write Protect my revit Family's?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Aubit529
1892 Views, 8 Replies

Write Protect my revit Family's?

Are there code blocks around for write protecting my Revit family’s?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
saikat
in reply to: Aubit529

You can use DocumentChanged event or Dynamic Model Update mechanism to trap any changes and undo them or cancel any save operations on specific files using these two mechanisms.

But this would require your add-in (which will track these changes) to be installed on that specific computer.

Saikat Bhattacharya
Senior Manager - Technology Consulting
Message 3 of 9
Aubit529

Have you got examples of what document changed event or dynamic model update mechanism would look like?

Message 4 of 9
saikat

You can refer to the DocumentChanged and DynamicModelUpdate SDK samples to begin with. There are other samples in the SDK on these two topics too. Jeremy Tammik's blog, The Building Coder too has many posts on these topics that should help in getting started.

thanks

Saikat Bhattacharya
Message 5 of 9
saikat
in reply to: saikat

Update: Since DocumentChanged in read-only event, you will have to use IUpdater framework (Dynamic Model Update) to write protect the family documents by posting error messages after tracking the changes/modifications..

Saikat Bhattacharya
Message 6 of 9
Aubit529

Thanks

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Ning_Zhou

"But this would require your add-in (which will track these changes) to be installed on that specific computer."

is it true? to my understanding, that family w/ registered DMU can also be used in computer w/o add-in being installed.

if it's true then what's the workaround? seems not much use if you want to protect rfa from whatever reason.

Message 8 of 9
Aubit529
in reply to: Ning_Zhou

I have seen a fan company that has an application that sizes fans according to the fan requirement then selects the family that will not work without the "Sizing Application". If I may give you such an example, you can do something similar and that

Message 9 of 9
Ning_Zhou

thanks Aubit529.

i used DMU quite some time ago, do not remember if that DMU feature is persistent for both rvt and rfa, sounds like it's not persistent, then it's almost useless for "Write Protect my revit Family's" because anyone can modify it by not installing that DMU addin in his/her machine, hope i'm wrong?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community