Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start? Teach an old dog new tricks?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rkuffel
314 Views, 2 Replies

Where do I start? Teach an old dog new tricks?

Hello, I am looking for some advice. I have an interest in learning to create add-ins for Revit and I would like to learn the right way. Sooo, what is the best way to learn how to create add-ins for Revit? I'm an Architect and started using Autocad in the early 90s and have been using Revit since 2007. I don't have any real programming experience, but I'm proficient with Revit. To be proficient with Add-ins, do I need to take college classes on programming in C# or VB or some other language I am unaware of? Which one do you recommend. Can I learn this language getting some books or online classes or what do you recommend? I know my questions are a little vague...probably cause I don't know, what I don't know, you know? Thank you very much for your input.Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ollikat
in reply to: rkuffel

Hard to say...it depends on person how much it takes to start learn codin. I would say that buy/borrow a C# book (for beginners), download Visual Studio express edition (free) and find some suitable forum from the web where you can find answers for newbie questions related to programming.

It might not take long to learn syntax for coding. Of course the code you produce will be horrible, because understanding the object oriented philosofy might take much longer time. But anyway...just get your hands on...you might be able to do something simple in fairly brief time....maybe 🙂

Message 3 of 3
augusto.goncalves
in reply to: rkuffel

Try our 'My First Plug-in' www.autodesk.com/myfirstrevitplugin

Also, our DevTVs at http://www.autodesk.com/developrevit

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community