Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get material using "Materials.Contains(name)"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chiouhau
479 Views, 3 Replies

Unable to get material using "Materials.Contains(name)"

Hi,

I'm using Revit 2013. I want to get the material from a family document (e.g.

Material m = m_familyDocument.Settings.Materials.get_Item(name);). I used 2 different functions (Materials.Contains(string name) and Materials.get_Item(string name)) but both also giving me the following error: "Revit encountered a System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Autodesk.Revit.DB.Materials Autodesk.Revit.DB.Settings.get_Materials()'." Am I allowed to retrieve material from a family document? What is the correct function to be used?

Thanks,

Chiou Hau

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Revitalizer
in reply to: chiouhau

Dear chiouhau,

may it be that - when compiling - you have linked to the 2012 RevitAPI.dll while running the addin in Revit 2013 ?

I've noticed in another posting that you code for both 12 and 13, so maybe you use a 2012 method that is already deprecated in 2013 ?

Cheers,

Revitalizer

Rudolf Honke
Software Developer
Mensch und Maschine

Message 3 of 4
chiouhau
in reply to: Revitalizer

You are right. So is that means we must use different version of RevitAPI.dll if we want to run addin in different Revit version?

May I know what is the correct function used to get the material from family document if I only have the name? Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Revitalizer
in reply to: chiouhau

Hi,

here is more information about running code both with 2012 and 2013:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2012/07/multi-version-add-in.html

If you compile your code, you can see it in the compiler warnings which methods may disappear in following Revit API versions.

To answer the other question, getting materials by name from a family document: another one may give you more infos, I've no time...

Bye,

Revitalizer

Rudolf Honke
Software Developer
Mensch und Maschine

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community