Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpdevelop Macro Editor Error with Step Into

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Troy_Gates
1694 Views, 12 Replies

Sharpdevelop Macro Editor Error with Step Into

I am unable to use the Step Into function in either 2014 or 2015 versions of the Sharpdevelop macro editor. On any macro that I try to use the Step Into function I get an error (see image below). After hitting the continue button I am stuck with Continue Debugging or Stop Process. If I choose to Continue Debugging it results in the same error. If I choose to Stop Process it then forces me to Detach or Terminate Revit. I end up using Detach so I can continue to use Revit without closing it with Terminate.

It started a few weeks ago and affects both versions of Revit. Its frustrating because I use the macro editor to test out small chunks of code and can't do it anymore without it crashing when I try to debug the code with Step Into. I tried uninstalling Revit 2015 and reinstalling. It still crashes on every macro. Any ideas how to fix the Step Into function?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rosalesduquej
in reply to: Troy_Gates

Hi Troy,

So i’ve been investigating around many different reason on why are you having this issue when you use the step in functionality with the Sharp develop Macros. 

I’ve come down to a couple of reasons on maybe why are you having this problem. 

- You could be missing or have a corrupt dll file

But then again that should get fix when you do a clean installation which you already have done before. Which takes me to my second thought of possibility of your error. 

- Can some of those dll or something else be infected with a virus in your computer ? it seems odd that it was working for you before and all the sudden stopped working on both versions of Revit. 

Have you run a scan on your computer ? 

Unfortunately I’m not able to reproduce the error in any of my versions of Revit. I will keep checking for another possible solution. 

Keep me posted if you find out of anything else. 

Cheers,

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Twitter | AEC ADN DevBlog
Message 3 of 13
carl.veillette

I was wondering if you can help me with a vaguely related issue. I have a frozen macro dialog in Revit. I am not able to delete existing macro. See video below:

Cheers,

Carl
Tags (3)
Message 4 of 13

Mmm Very interesting, I've seen that before not to me but kinda rings a bell. 

Are you installing VSTA (Visual Studio Tools for Applications) when you install Revit? another thought and something i seen before is, Are you opening projects using a journal file? I heard of someone using a script that creates a local file and opens it using a journal. But they noticed that the journal somehow caused the add-on macros to stop loading in Revit 2011, I know you are using 2015 and this is a bit old but doesn't hurt to try and ask. If they open the project through Revit the macros worked again. Just a thought.

I will keep researching about it and let you know if i find something else, let me know if you do as well. 

Cheers,

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Message 5 of 13
Troy_Gates
in reply to: rosalesduquej

Some follow up...

* I had IT scan my system and no viruses or malware on it. 

* I am not starting Revit via a script or journal, I am launching by the associated icon.

* I checked my SharpDevelop debug files against another computer and they are the same timestamp. I also tried renaming the folder containing them and copy the same folder from another computer but still get the same error.

* I am using Windows 8, not sure if it might be the culprit, but would hope its not.

* I was able to use the StepInto feature on this computer from March 2014 until sometime in November 2014 when it started with this error.

I'm hoping you come up with something, its really hindering my debugging of macros.

Thanks

Message 6 of 13
rosalesduquej

Ok thanks for trying, let me continue with my research I will ask around internally to find you a solution on it. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Best,

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Message 7 of 13
pkhlineworks

I also have problems using SharpDevelope to create macros. I can run the same macro 2 times in a row, one time will work and the other time it will crash Revit, even though I haven't changed anything in the project file. There is no exception thrown unfortunately.

It seems like SharpDevelope doesn't like to work under Revit.

Message 8 of 13
Troy_Gates
in reply to: pkhlineworks

This wasn't ever resolved for my issue, but after installing Revit 2016 I tried it in that version and it worked. So I am now using Revit 2016 to write and debug macros.

Message 9 of 13
michael_coffey

I'm having this problem with 2016 now also.  I'm wondering if the installation of Visual Studio somehow messes up SharpDevelop.  Any help is appreciated.

Message 10 of 13

I'm having this error now too.  Can't debug on Windows 10, will try on Win 7.

Richard Binning
Director of BIM Technology

Wakefield Beasley & Associates
5200 Avalon Boulevard
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Message 11 of 13
Message 12 of 13

That was the trick.  Now to figure out which extension/addin is causing this.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Binning
Director of BIM Technology

Wakefield Beasley & Associates
5200 Avalon Boulevard
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Message 13 of 13
jagostinhoCT

Sad to report that the error persists in Revit 2022.

I am using the DiRoots App Manager to quickly disable all Add-Ins prior to running SharpDevelop.

DiRoots App Manager | Install/Update Apps & enable/disable Revit addins

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community