Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling nested families

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
m.vallee
517 Views, 7 Replies

Scheduling nested families

Hi everyone here.

We recently developed complex door families, made with nested families managed by shared parameters.

These families just work fine.

We want to schedule door instances in our projects. The trouble is that we cannot show the shared parameters values as we would like to. Like in the properties dialog box, their syntax is : "Nested family name : Type name", and to extract correct data we really just need "Type name".

I perfectly understand that in the properties dialog box it is necessary to have both, because "Type 1" could be in "Nested family A" and "Nested family B", so you have to know from which family you will apply "Type 1".

But in schedules that would be great to have a "formatting" or "appearance" function that enables the user to show only type names. In that case of course he should no longer be able to change the parameter value.

I don't want to create new parameters to store only type names as Autodesk EPS proposed us, because that would add around 50 new parameters to the already existing 50 ones.

I had a look at the API possibilities, but didn't see a way to achieve my goals.

API-speaking, I think this is linked to the fact that when the StorageType of the parameter is ElementId, AsValueString() is called and this function returns the string "Family name : Type name". I'd rather get and show the FamilySymbol.Name property.

Do you have an idea of what could be done ? Or any workarounds ?

Many thanks in advance.

MV

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
peterjegan
in reply to: m.vallee

I assume you are trying to schedule a Family Type shared parameter. We do that. The trick is to give the type the same name as the family, and then Revit will schedule just one name. Say you are scheduling panels as F, N or G. For "F," name the family "F.rfa," with only one type "F," and you will get just "F" in the schedule, not "F:F"
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: peterjegan

I'm with you on that one, being able to display type name only of a type parameter in a schedule would be awesome. I currently do the same as peterjegan, it's a pain though as it means that I end up creating multiple almost-identical families could easily be combined and driven by a few type parameters.

I've not really messed around much with shared nested families so I'm not too sure, but maybe you can get what you want that way.

Message 4 of 8
m.vallee
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers.

Your workaround is really impossible to set up in our case.

Not only theoretically speaking it breaks all Revit logic regarding what are families and types, but it also increases the number of families way too much.

If we consider we have 40 nested families with an average of 5 different types, we would have to create (and maintain !!!) 200 families ! 

Any ideas from other users, or Revit dev teams ?

Would that be a possible software and/or API request ?

Cheers.

M.V.

Message 5 of 8
jeremytammik
in reply to: m.vallee

Dear Maxime,

Thank you for your request.

I submitted the wish list item CF-1987 [API wish: Scheduling nested families -- 10138780] on your behalf for the functionality you suggest, as this issue requires exploration and possibly a modification to our software. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 6 of 8
m.vallee
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks a lot for publishing the request. The reference should not be too difficult to remember since it is my year of birth Smiley Happy

Do you have any ideas of a possible workaround, in the meantime ?

Thanks a lot.

M.V.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: peterjegan

Dear peterjegan,

If I do as you say, is it possible to extract informations from these families using formulas?

For example:
I'm extracting informations from my Door Families in Schedulle.
I want to say that if the Panel if F, then the valeu is 10. If Panel is G, then it is 20....

Thank you for your help.
Message 8 of 8
peterjegan
in reply to: Anonymous

Daniela,

I don't think you can get additional information from the nested family to display in your schedule. Basically, this is what the OP is looking for.

Is there a reason why you can't name your family "10.rfa" and your type "10"?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community