Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit server API access

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
meza.seba
3884 Views, 6 Replies

Revit server API access

Is it possible to access Revit Server with some kind of custom made API?

For example: via SOAP or REST protocol. Ideally I would like to get an IFC output file from server, which will be then displayed on "smart" mobile device in form of augmented reality. I attached a scheme of a system I am trying to make. I am mainly working on middle ware, which could connect directly to server monitor any kind of update, get an IFC file, transform it to file format appropriate for display with Augmented reality application Layar or Junaio.

Thanks,
Sebastjan

Untitled.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
adam.nagy
in reply to: meza.seba

HI there,

Here is some info about the Revit Server REST API.

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/11/revit-server-rest-api.html

Unfortunately, at the moment it does not provide API to upload/download files from the server. 

However, the Revit API does provid the function to download from (but not upload to) the server.

You would need Revit anyway to read the actual file and turn it into e.g. IFC.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Adam Nagy

Autodesk Developer Network

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 3 of 7
ChrisOace
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi,

My question is about using the API against a server version of Revit to dynamically generate a family.  We already produce an Addin that uses the API to send geometry and parameters into the Family Editor to dynamically create windows, doors, and combinations.  It works great on a local installation, but I was wondering if a server version of Revit exists that might allow online users to generate Revit Families dynamically in real time.  Now that we can create millions of customized permutations in real time, it seems like a huge step backwards to create a traditional Revit (Seek?) library.

thanks,

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 4 of 7
vshashidhar
in reply to: meza.seba

I'm new to Revit implementation.. this might be silly question for pros out there..

How can I identify if a Revit Model is changed using my Revit Server API ( what is the method) ? my goal is to identify the model that is changed and copy to different location and extract the data.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 7
ChrisOace

Adam,

Last year I posted a question (in this thread) about using Revit 2013 as a service.  I didn't hear back that it was possible.  Do you know whether the new 2015 version of Revit and the 2015 Revit API would allow Revit to be accessed as a Software As A Service implementation?  We have an even greater need to do this now that Revit LT has been adopted by folks who want to incorporate our windows and doors into their Revit models.  Since LT is not designed to run the Addins, they have no way of using our window generator Addin.

thanks,

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support
Message 6 of 7
adam.nagy
in reply to: ChrisOace

Hi Christopher,

No headless/server version of Revit is available for 3rd parties.

Technically it should be possible to have a Revit on a server that is accessed from other computers to do some processing.

I do not know the legal side of it though - e.g. if all users accessing this server would need to have a full Revit license or not, or if even that would not make it legal.

Cheers, 

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 7 of 7
ChrisOace

Adam,

Thanks for the response, even though I was hoping for an emphatic "YES".  Our Addin currently invokes the capabilities of the Family Editor by sending the unit geometry into the family editor.  The Family Editor interface is never raised as all this happens in the background.  When the Family/Type has been created, the new unit is added to the Project/Family tree and the user is notified via a modal dialog box.  So let me fine tune my original question by asking if there is a headless version of the Family Editor that works independently of the main Revit user interface.  My primary Revit/Window Studio developer doesn't think so,but it doesn't hurt to ask.  The release of Revit LT has created a growing pool of architects who want Andersen symbols but can't use our Addin to create them dynamically.

thanks again,

Christopher Oace
Andersen CAD Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community