Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT API HELP - New older but wiser

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Rudy_Tovar_BIM
305 Views, 4 Replies

REVIT API HELP - New older but wiser

First of all, Good day to all of you ladies and gentlemen.

I don't know if any of will even know me nor remember me.

I'm simply looking some assistance with Revit API.

I'd previous written in lisp, vlisp, and various other forms for customizing Autocad for over 22 years and ADN for 3year before being given access to Revit in 2002. then later applying it professionally.

Then for the nature of the economy and career, stopped and began teaching Revit for almost 7 years all three flavors, and used each one professionally.

I'm finding myself being driven back into the automation, but I'm finding the code, at least some that is published might have some updating, and code errors. Which in some case was able to fix, but I need a better foundation for myself. I need to understand the linking process of the manifest files to code properly for either the ribbon, or command. A clear example that could follow, without having to flip through pages, and add bits of code that the publisher assumes you already understand.

Feels like I'm starting from scratch, but If any of you could shed some light, I would truely be apreciative.

Any small code example that does tie both manifest and code to my current Revit 2014 or 2015.

By the way, I do want to thank Jeremy Tammik for his insight and direction. I will also continue to follow his blog.

Rudy Tovar.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Dear Rudy,

Thank you very much for your appreciation!

My main involvement with AutoCAD dates back far into the distant past, so I have not had much direct interaction with you concerning Lisp etc.

Regarding material for getting started with the Revit API and understanding the basics of the add-in manifest and its relationship with external commands and external applications, nothing simpler than that:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#2

That should provide ample answers to all those questions.

Thorough understanding of Revit from the user interface and product workflow point of view will be an enormous asset to you getting started with the API and enable tyo you avoid huge paradigmatic pitfalls, e.g. the typical stumbling blocks mentioned here:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2012/10/porting-an-autocad-application.html

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2012/02/bim-versus-free-geometry-and-product-training.html

I hope that provides all you need for the moment.

Good luck with the Revit API, and have fun!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 5

Thank you once again Jeremy.

I do have another question though.

I've been having a hard time find visual 2012, and finally settled for Visual 2013, Which I noticed differences in the debugging feature for adding Revit's executable. Does anyone know if it's ok to use 2013, with Revit 14 or 15 API? I had tried a few, which seem to make it work without any problems, it's just that the tutorials follow a slightly different format, that I may not see in Visual 2013.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Rudy_Tovar_BIM

VS2013 is fine it's what i'm currently using for 2015. If you want to be able to launch revit inside the debugger though, you will need to switch Visual Studio over to the legacy debugger as the new one can't handle mixed mode executables.

Here's a link that Jeremy has posted previously in a nother thread that runs you through the process.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/10/16/switching-to-managed-compatibility-mode-i...

Message 5 of 5
Rudy_Tovar_BIM
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for sharing, I've got quite a bit of reading to accomplish.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community