Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2015 Add-In Manager installation problems

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
bcampbell11
15294 Views, 33 Replies

Revit 2015 Add-In Manager installation problems

Are there extra steps to getting the Revit 2015 Add-in manager to install into Revit?  I have installed the Revit 2015 SDK a couple of times and there is no install file in the Add-In Manager folder like previous versions.  Any help would be apprecieated.

Thanks!

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

It seems that is missing the .addin file required to install it on Revit, can you provide us a print screen of your addin folder at the SDK to confirm?

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 34

attached are the following images:

1. 2014 folder.gif  =  this is what previous releases have had in this folder.  We run this and easily install the add-in manager (the path is in the image).

2. 2015 folder.gif  =  this is what the 2015 version has in it.  I opened a couple of these files and got the following:

a. chm file.gif  =  this is what you get when you open the chm file in the 2015 folder (notice everything is for 2011????Smiley Surprised)

b. .config file.gif = notice the reference to Revit Add-In Manager 2012 ??????Smiley Surprised

obviously something is wrong.  I have re-installed several times already.

The only place I can find to download the Revit 2015 SDK is here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2484975

thanks

Message 4 of 34
bcampbell11
in reply to: bcampbell11

here is the final .gif

Message 5 of 34

I am having the same problem.

Is there a solution?

Message 6 of 34

Hi,

We have posted a updated version of the SDK at www.autodesk.com/developrevit with the missing .addin files, please download it.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Message 7 of 34
bcampbell11

I am still having problems.  For one, we still don’t get the handy Add-In Manager for Autodesk Revit.msi that came with previous SDK’s for Revit and another, it is still putting the add-ins in the 2014 folder/Revit.   I also have to go point the .addin to read from the correct location (something that I’ve never done in the past). 

Am I doing something wrong??   I hope so, because I would assume you guys tested it, right?? 

Maybe I will just create my own add-in manager, probably not too difficult.

Thanks

Message 8 of 34
bthatcher

Aggreed! Even after copying the dll, .addin fine into the directory and updating the paths, I dont see it showing up anywhere in Revit. It's frusterating. Has anyone else worked through this? Thanks.

Message 9 of 34

Hi,

Please make sure you download the latest SDK with the DLL and ADDIN files.
Copy them to "C:\Users\<<USERNAME>>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2015" and launch Revit. It should appear like in the image below.

rvt_2015.png

Let me know if still not working for you...

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Message 10 of 34
dd
Community Visitor
in reply to: augusto.goncalves

Yes I still have the same problem.

I followed the directions here but they are not sufficiently detailed given that there are so many problems and there are no error messages to help indicate what is wrong.

Your screen capture the expected result seems to conflict withe the standard documented expected result where the "external tools" button is usually in the addins tab beside modify.

Anyway I can't find the "external tools" button anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 11 of 34
bcampbell11
in reply to: dd

After pointing the .addin file to the correct location, I get the same menu that is in your screen capture. 

So, it is running from Revit 2015 like it should, but when I run the add-in manager and instal a new add-in, it puts the add-in into Revit 2014.  Please let me know if the sentence in bold is still unclear and I will try to elaborate.  

Please take a look at your AddInManager.dll file, I believe it needs to be updated to actually put the plug-in into Revit 2015, NOT 2014!!!

I am not an expert but, have you actually tested it once it "looks right in 2015"?  I bet it doesn't actually work when you TEST IT.

Message 12 of 34

Thanks for reporting it! Indeed the 'Save' feature seems to place the files on 2014 folder, I'll investigate it deeper.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Message 13 of 34
bthatcher

After following your directions verbatim, it does not work. After copying the files into the specified directory and updating the path in the .addin file, it still dies not work. Nor when I place them in "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2015". I have addins in each of those directories that load and work fine. What is strange is it's not even getting error messages about a missing dll when I remove the path from the .addin? Have the other people in this thread gotten this to work or given up? How did it get to this point? That install file has worked great for years. Please advise, thanks. 

Message 14 of 34
dd
Community Visitor
in reply to: bthatcher

My main problème was that I NEVER saw the "External Tools" button and therefore could do nothing at all.

I no longer have that problème. Now I can see the External Tools button if I copy the ObjectView sample addin + dll into the Roaming folder.

AND THEN choose the structural model before going into the addin tab.

Doing the same for hello world sample and AddIn Manager did not work.

So I can almost develop a litte bit, but I cannot use the debugger.

Message 15 of 34
bcampbell11

I think that it flat out doesn't work at this point, they need to updated all of the associated files, then let us download for it to work.  This is a good example of why Autodesk should be releasing software every other year in my opinion.  I would understand more if they just said that this tool is no longer available, but I think they just sent it out with incorrect coding.  I am really going to look into writing my own plug-in regardless.   A person could probably "Google" one that someone else has written as well.

Message 16 of 34
dd
Community Visitor

If I rename the dll I do get an error message so that is a crucial clue/
Message 17 of 34
dd
Community Visitor

If you delete the dll you should get an error mesage at startup of revit "Failed to initialize the add-in because the assembly objectViewer.DLL does not exist.
The DLL should be beside the addin I tried once to have it in another folder without success.
Message 18 of 34
bthatcher

I develop for myself, so I don't even bother creating addin files or menus. I just load what I need with this tool, and if I think of a new feature, I add it in visual studio and reload it. In the event I do need to share something, I use this tool to create the addin file. I'm dead in the water over here. I kept thinking there was something i'm doing wrong, because these API people are a smart group. What does Jeremy think of this? He often promotes this tool, I haven't had time to see if he's mentioned it. Thanks. 

Message 19 of 34
bcampbell11

I was also wondering about Jeremy!
Message 20 of 34
bcampbell11

After pointing the .addin file to the correct location, I get the same menu that is in your screen capture. 

So, it is running from Revit 2015 like it should, but when I run the add-in manager and instal a new add-in, it puts the add-in into Revit 2014.  Please let me know if the sentence in bold is still unclear and I will try to elaborate.  

Please take a look at your AddInManager.dll file, I believe it needs to be updated to actually put the plug-in into Revit 2015, NOT 2014!!!

I am not an expert but, have you actually tested it once it "looks right in 2015"?  I bet it doesn't actually work when you TEST IT.

This was meant to be a reply to Augusto

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community