Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Debugging API addin - fatal error

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pwspears
507 Views, 3 Replies

Revit 2013 Debugging API addin - fatal error

Background info:

1) I have a licensed copy of revit 2013 on my computer at home. 

2) I have a licensed copy of revit 2013 on my computer at work.

3) I have been developing revit Addins with the API and visual studio (VS) express 2010 for the past 6 months with no problems.  I have been able to launch revit through the debugging process and step through my code.

4) I recently installed a trial version of 2014 on my computer at home just to check it out.

Now, I get an error on my home computer when I try to launch revit 2013 through the VS debugger stating that revit needs to close.   I do not get the same error when I do this on my work computer.  I do get the error when I try to launch revit 2014 through the VS debugger on my home computer.  I am still able to compile add-ins, put them in the correct revit addin folder, and they work.... I just can't step through the code.

I suspect that during the 2014 install, that some setting was changed in the 2013 version to prevent trial versions from being able to be launched from VS.  But, my 2013 version should not be a trial.

I have tried to unistall everything and re-install, but this does not fix the problem.

Anyone ever had this happen?  Or know how to fix it?

thank you in advance!

Paul Spears

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ollikat
in reply to: pwspears

Hi

I haven't had similar problem my self. But just a thought...have you tried to attach debugger to Revit.exe proses after you have opened Revit? I understood that you always try to launch Revit from the VS IDE (F5)(?).

Message 3 of 4
pwspears
in reply to: ollikat

Thanks for the response!

I think I am already "attaching to the process".  I have the express edition of VS and so the "attach to process" option is not available.  Howevever, at one point in time, I read that I could edit the [myprojectname].csproj file and set revit as the start up object.  This is what I have been doing and it has been working great... until recently.

Also, can you attach to revit after it is running?  I think you may end up with two versions of revit running, one that you opened manually, and the other that is opened by the debugger... correct?

thanks again,

Paul Spears

Message 4 of 4
ollikat
in reply to: pwspears

OK...sorry, I wasn't clear enough...I think you somewhat missed my point :-).

@pwspears wrote:

I think I am already "attaching to the process".  

Yes, this is true when you "launch" Revit from the VS via debugger ("Debug / Start Debugging" (F5)).

What I ment is that first you could fire up Revit normaly from desctop shortcut etc, open some project maybe and after that go to VS and press "Debug / Attach to Process" or Ctrl + Alt + P, then search the Revit.exe from the list and press "Attach".

Doing this will NOT try to start another Revit process. Instead it attaches selected process to VS debugger. After that you have identical situation while you would have when you started Revit directly from VS IDE (F5). But as you stated, this may not be possible using VS Express (?).

My point here is that maybe something nasty things happens during Revit start up and it doesn't like your debugger attached at that time. So attaching later would prevent this error happening...but this is just a pure guess!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community