Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print views from linked models

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
skeletank
806 Views, 3 Replies

Print views from linked models

Environment: Revit 2013

My users have a large main model with a bunch of smaller models linked in.  It is a hassle for them when they need to print a sheet from one of the linked models because they have to close the main model, open the linked model, print the linked model, and then open the main model again and wait forever for it to load.  

It would be nice if they could have a tool to print any # of sheets from the main/linked model(s) without having to to do the opening/closing of models.  I've tried using UIApplication.OpenAndActivateDocument to switch between documents and print but that physically opens them as well.  The ideal situation would be to print using the database info.  Is there any way to do this using the API?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe.Ye
in reply to: skeletank

I don't think there is a workaround to print the linked model's views.

Just did a quick test to filter out a view from the background document for a linked model. And tried to print a view in this background document. However nothing was print, and Revit crashed.

The request is indeed useful for end users. I will let the engineering team know this.

Joe Ye
Contractor
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 4
TimonHazell-WPM
in reply to: Joe.Ye

After just a few years this is now possible.  See the code inside the free addin PyRevit for printing views from linked files.

https://github.com/eirannejad/pyRevit

Message 4 of 4

I'll add to this 'ancient' thread.

A simple work around is to open another instance of Revit and open the linked file there. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community