Revit API

Contributor
jkunkel
Message 1 of 2 (163 Views)

Perpendicular to host

163 Views, 1 Replies
10-03-2012 09:57 AM

I have a series of security camera components.  Because of the designer's requirements, some are ceiling based and some are face based.

I am trying to figure out what way the element is pointing in plan.  For the ceiling based ones, I can easily get the FacingOrientation and do some math to figure it out.  For the face based components, when they are placed on a wall, or any other vertical surface, the FacingOrientation simply comes back as (0,0,1) which makes sense because it was rotated up from "the floor", in the family editor, to a vertical surface.

I think I need to get a line that is perpendicular to the host.  I don't know if the host or hostface is the way to go, since I can't really figure out how to use the hostface.

I could probably make something that would give me a perpendicular line to a straight wall, but what if it's a reference plane, or what if it's the face of a generic model?  I would like something a little more all encompassing.

Any ideas?

Employee
saikat
Message 2 of 2 (142 Views)

Re: Perpendicular to host

10-12-2012 02:11 PM in reply to: jkunkel

Hi

Does Face.ComputeNormal or ReferencePlane.Normal help?

cheers

Saikat Bhattacharya

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.