Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perpendicular to host

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jason.kunkel
430 Views, 1 Reply

Perpendicular to host

I have a series of security camera components.  Because of the designer's requirements, some are ceiling based and some are face based.

I am trying to figure out what way the element is pointing in plan.  For the ceiling based ones, I can easily get the FacingOrientation and do some math to figure it out.  For the face based components, when they are placed on a wall, or any other vertical surface, the FacingOrientation simply comes back as (0,0,1) which makes sense because it was rotated up from "the floor", in the family editor, to a vertical surface.

I think I need to get a line that is perpendicular to the host.  I don't know if the host or hostface is the way to go, since I can't really figure out how to use the hostface.

I could probably make something that would give me a perpendicular line to a straight wall, but what if it's a reference plane, or what if it's the face of a generic model?  I would like something a little more all encompassing.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
saikat
in reply to: jason.kunkel

Hi

Does Face.ComputeNormal or ReferencePlane.Normal help?

cheers

Saikat Bhattacharya
Senior Manager - Technology Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community