Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Multiple ExternalCommand with Different Version Numbers

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jinsol.kim
502 Views, 8 Replies

Load Multiple ExternalCommand with Different Version Numbers

Hi, 

I usally load the same external command with two different versions at the same time, one in a custom tab, another in the Add-ins tab. 

When I loaded the external command, I saw only one version was loaded and the first loaded version seemed to suppress the other.

So the two seperate command buttons run one singular verision of command whatever loaded first. Can you tell me how I can load two different versions of External Command? Should I make something different other than version number?

Please let me know. Thanks,

Jinsol

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Aaron.Lu
in reply to: jinsol.kim

Dear Jinsol,

I can reproduce your problem, and I think currently there is no workaround for it unless you use different names of the ExternalCommand

I'm still consulting with engineering team, once I got answer I will let you know.

Aaron Lu
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 9
Aaron.Lu

Another workaround is using AddinManager to load your external command, it supports loading multiple same assemblies in different folder.

Aaron Lu
Message 4 of 9
jinsol.kim
in reply to: Aaron.Lu

The different assembly names of the external command will be used in PushbuttonData to combine different dlls into one Ribbon panel. 

I've also searched a little bit,but the renaming dll seems to be the only solution I have. 

Thank you, Aaron. 

Message 5 of 9
Aaron.Lu

Dear jinsol,

Just to confirm that renaming dll won't work, but renaming namespace or class name will work.

Do you agree with that?

Aaron Lu
Message 6 of 9
jinsol.kim

Hi Aaron,

I changed the name of the assembly keeping the name space same and build the Visual Studio project. It seems to work in that way.
Thanks,

Jinsol
Message 7 of 9
Aaron.Lu

Thanks for letting me know.

You still registering an External Application and an External Command?

unfortunately, It can't work from my side..

Aaron Lu
Message 8 of 9
jinsol.kim

Yes. I've registered external commands with all different names of dlls depending on their version numbers, for example xxx_v2015.0.1.0.dll
The name should be changed from the assembly in Visual Studio instead of simply renaming the name of the dll file.
Message 9 of 9
Aaron.Lu

Exactly!!!

1. Renaming the class name or namespace won't work if we simply rename or relocate the dll files

2. Renaming the "Assembly name" in visual studio and rebuild will work!

Thanks very much for your information!

Aaron Lu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community