Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to localize Project/Shared parameter names and schedule names?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
630 Views, 3 Replies

Is it possible to localize Project/Shared parameter names and schedule names?

I am building an Add-In that creates some parameters and schedules as part of the functionality.  I also need to access the parameters within my Add-In.  However, we are creating the Add-In to support users with different languages, by following the currently running Revit Language.  I notice that the built-in parameters (like Room Area, Number, Name, etc.) are localized, but I can't see how to do that with the parameters I add.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

-Ed

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeremytammik
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear Ed,

Sorry, tricky area.

You do not specify whether you are talking about family parameters or shared parameters.

Family parameters are identified by their name only, making them very hard indeed to localise. I would recommand just using characters like A, B, C, etc.

Possibly prefixing them with your four character registered developer symbol, e.g. ESIL_A, ESIL_B, etc.

Shared parameters can be identified using a GUID instead.

People have apparently succeeded at manipulating the shared parameter file to produce identical shared parameters with identical GUIDs in different languages:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2013/11/translated-shared-parameter-guid-consolidation.html

Oh, actually you do specify which parameters you mean, in the title. Sorry, missed that, just looking at the text. 

Regarding project parameters, I would suggest forgetting about them completely, if you can. As far as I know, we have very little if any programmatic access to those at all.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thank you for the information Jeremy.

Let me respond you your question about the type of parameters.  We are creating them via the API as Project Parameters:

Project Parameters Added

Then adding them to elements:

Parameters Added To Room

We would like "Space", "Name", and "UseClassification" to follow the language Revit is currently using.  We do this with the rest of our Add-In (the ribbon labels, dialogs, etc.).

In reading the information you provided, the process of translating the parameters doesn't seem like it would switch the parameter labels if a different user opens the model using a different language version of Revit.  Am I correct about that?

We have the same question/problem with Schedule names.  If we create the schedule with a Spanish label, and a user opens the model with English Revit, he will see the Spanish schedule name; there isn't a way for us to provide translations.  Am I correct about that?

It would be a great enhancement for the future.

Thank you again.

-Ed

Message 4 of 4
jaySZWNK
in reply to: Anonymous

Please refer to the OpenRFA documentation for managing multiple languages in shared parameters: http://openrfa.org/documentation/regional-multi-language-support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community