Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is is possible to start an external application & get a result back from it?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
b_ralphs
372 Views, 3 Replies

Is is possible to start an external application & get a result back from it?

Hi guys,

I'm new here. 🙂

I was just wondering if it's possable to start an external application, say I small command .exe that I've written, pass it a few arguments & then get a result back from it?

Can someone show me an example of this?

I've seen a othere posts that talk about not being able to start a process outside of the API;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-API/Start-transaction-not-working-with-Revit-2014/td-p/...

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not...

thx for the help,

Barry

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
arnostlobel
in reply to: b_ralphs

Hello Barry,

Your question is a bit vague, but I’ll try to answer it based on what you provided. Sure you can start an external application (by which I suppose you mean another process) from an external command registered with and invoked from Revit. There is practically no limitation on what an external command can do, so instantiating and managing other processes is perfectly fine as far as Revit is concerned. What is very important here though, and there it is what somehow relates to the thread about transactions you pointed out, is that your external process has absolutely no direct communication with Revit. Besides that, your external process can do whatever it wants.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the intention you have with your project.

Thank you

Arnošt Löbel

Autodesk Revit R&D

Arnošt Löbel
Message 3 of 4
b_ralphs
in reply to: arnostlobel

Message 4 of 4
arnostlobel
in reply to: b_ralphs

Hello Berry,

yes, it is possible; it has nothing to do with Revit and its API.

Arnošt Löbel
Autodesk, Revit R&D
Arnošt Löbel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community