Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC Import: TextNotes & Transparency

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jason.teagle
702 Views, 4 Replies

IFC Import: TextNotes & Transparency

If I define my own TextNote Family Type through IFC (using a custom label in the IfcTextStyle entity), Revit happily shows this extra type. Thus, I can (in Revit) edit the type and change the background of the TextNote to Transparent without affecting all standard TextNotes - only the ones I'm generating. Perfect - except that it requires a manual step by the user, and I'd like to avoid that. 

Is there any way to set this transparency Type property via IFC? The IfcColourRgb entity used for text annotations doesn't support alpha so setting the background colour in IfcTextStyleForDefinedFont won't help. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello,

I have enquired with the engineering team about this. I will get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks

Gopinath

Message 3 of 5

Feedback from my colleagues in engineering:

*------------

I just looked through the IFC 2x3  (and IFC4) specification for IfcTextStyle, and it doesn’t appear that there is support for transparency.  You can, however, be old school and make it blink in IFC, although I am afraid we don’t currently support that option.

*------------

Sorry for the bad news.

Best Regards

Gopinath

Message 4 of 5

Hmmm... OK, fair enough on that score. In that case I have a related issue. 

When you specify the position of the text using a local placement / axis placement / cartesian point, that includes a Z value. I can't tell in Revit where it's actually placed in terms of Z as it is only visible in plan view, so it is possible to say whether that specified Z value is honoured?

My reason for asking (and for wanting to be able to set transparency via IFC) is that when I tried using a considerably negative Z value to (theoretically) lower the text with respect to the model (which was at a Z value 0 and higher), the background area surrounding the text (which is matched to the background colour by default) still overlapped and thus partly obscured the model. Either the Z is being ignored, or layering of annotations isn't working as expected (unless annotations are designed to always appear on top... in which case not much we can do here). 

One final question related to this - is there any way through IFC to get that annotation to show in views other than plan? The 3D view would be preferred. I can't seem to find anything, so I'm guessing this one is a No. 

Message 5 of 5

Most of this info must be decipherable with Revit Lookup. Have you tried it yet?

Thanks

Gopinath

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community