Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include exterior wall boundary polyline in exported DWG/DXF?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1341 Views, 12 Replies

How to include exterior wall boundary polyline in exported DWG/DXF?

Using the API, I am exporting a DWG/DXF of a floor plan from Revit.  In the DWG/DFX, I need a polyline representing the outside of the exterior wall and a polyline representing the inside of the exterior wall. There are options to create polyline boundaries for each room during export, but I have not found a way to create polylines for the exterior wall.

How can I accomplish that?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi All,

I am still looking for some way to do this.  If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate hearing them so I can try them out.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 13
augusto.goncalves

Hi,

I made some testing and research on my side but, unfortunatly could not find an API for this. The DWGExportOption object has some other features, but not this specific one...

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: augusto.goncalves

Hi Augusto,

Thank you for looking into it - though, that's not the answer I was wanting to hear.

What would I do to create an enhancement request to add that option?  I'm surprised others haven't requested that the floor boundaries for the inside and outside of the exterior wall be included (as a closed polyline) in the generated DWG/DXF.

-Ed

Message 5 of 13
jeremytammik

Dear Esilky,

I actually answered this very question just now in your subsequent thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api/getting-floor-gross-area/m-p/5527432

In short, determine the bottom face of the floor slab in the Revit API and grab the geometric data for its outer boundary loop from there:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2008/10/slab-boundary.html

If you require this data in an AutoCAD element, you can use the AutoCAD.NET API to generate a polyline from it.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thanks Jeremy,

I'll look into these options for getting the area values.  For this specific question, I was looking for a way to include a closed polyline of the floor's exterior and interior boundary in the exported DWG/DXF.  I am trying to integrate to Revit in a similar way that we integrate to AutoCAD.  In AutoCAD, the user is required to manually polyline a drawing with the floor exterior and interior boundaries, and the room boundaries.  I was hoping we could eliminate this step when using Revit.  I don't want to require the user to do anything manually, or to require a step in AutoCAD.

Thank you.

-Ed

Message 7 of 13
jeremytammik

Dear Ed,

That definitely sounds achievable to me.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi !

Is there any luck that you succesfully code it? It is possible to share it ?

Thank you !

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

No, I have not been able to get the floor boundaries as polylines in the floor plan.  I've only been able to get room and area boundaries included.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Esilky,

You may be interested to think about how a convex hull implementation might help you achieve what you desire.  Check it out here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_hull

-Ken

Message 11 of 13
Moustafa_K

Just had a quick look and Realized it can be done via UI i didn't yet start on how via API

1st Create an Area Plan and make sure it is Gross building and not Rentable.

2nd make sure in Export Option to check Export Areas, rooms, Spaces ...ect as PolyLine

I think you can follow the same proceedure via API and then Roll back the Changes (do not commit transaction) to undo Creating Area Views. 

Hope that Helps

-----------------------------------------------------
Moustafa Khalil
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Moustafa_K

Thank you for your anwsers ! We will try in an another way. And if my developpers find a workround i will let you know.

Regards,

Jeremy

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Excuse my english I'm Algerian. If you export correctly your patterns ( of walls ) to dwg you can simply click on generate contours of patterns on Autocad by right click on it, that will generate your polyline. Peace.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community