Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Doors and Windows boundary curves

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sankar_g
1779 Views, 5 Replies

Find Doors and Windows boundary curves

Hi,

I would like to get the outer boundary curves of Doors and Windows through Revit API. I think there is no direct API method available to retrieve it.

In Opening class there is a property called Boundary Curves to retrieve the boundaries of an opening object. I need a method or workaround to achieve this.

Regards,

sangsen

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeremytammik
in reply to: sankar_g

Dear Sangsen,

Take a look at today's discussion on The Building Coder:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2015/01/getting-the-wall-elevation-profile.html

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 6
sankar_g
in reply to: jeremytammik

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to get Windows and Doors boundary curves not wall profile curves. I can use your post code and get the closed inner boundaries. But when we have a door and a window next to each other then wall profile have only one L Shaped inner boundary. I need  individual boundaries separately.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
Revitalizer

Hi sangsen,

to work around the L problem, what about deleting all but your needed opening from a wall, in a temporary transaction ?

After removing all but this one, the wall's geometry will adjust, thus allowing you to retrieve the curve loop of your opening (using today TBS's blog posting).

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2015/01/wall-elevation-profiles-in-the-building-coder-sampl...

This mechanism of a temporary transaction has been used by TBC several times.

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/10/retrieving-detailed-wall-layer-geometry.html

Best regards,

Revitalizer

Rudolf Honke
Software Developer
Mensch und Maschine

Message 5 of 6
jeremy_tammik

Dear Sangsen,

Revitalizer's suggestion is fine, and there are lots of other approaches as well.

You could simply grab the door or window family instance geometry, project everything onto a surface parallell to the wall exterior, and determine the outer loop, e.g. using a polygon Boolean library.

You could use the extrusion analyser provided by the Revit API to do the projection and Boolean operation for you.

That and many other approaches are all described by The Building Coder.

Search the Internet.

Use Google, if you like, or duckduckgo, if you prefer not to have your data harvested and used.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 6 of 6
sankar_g
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

Hi,

Thanks Revitalizer and jeremy for your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community