Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chaning the family and type of an elbow to a new family and type

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jmorganjmcdean
245 Views, 1 Reply

Chaning the family and type of an elbow to a new family and type

So I want to change the family and type of an elbow. Here is how I started:

//changeTypeTo is the name of the new family I want to change to.

//This is where I find an existing element that matches the family and type that I want to change all the old elbow family and types to

FamilyInstance m_ElementType = null;

FilteredElementCollector collector = new FilteredElementCollector(GlobalData.doc);
            collector
                .OfClass(typeof(FamilyInstance));
            var ElbowTypes = from fsymbol in collector
                where fsymbol.Name == changeTypeTo
                select fsymbol;

if (ElbowTypes !null)
            {
                //m_ElementType = ElbowTypes.Cast<FamilyInstance>().ElementAt<FamilyInstance>(0);
                foreach (FamilyInstance element in ElbowTypes) 
                {
                    if (element.Symbol.Family.Name.ToString() == cmbNewFamilies.SelectedItem.ToString())
                    {
                        m_ElementType = element;
                        break;                                           //I am only looking for one element that currently exists in the model right now that I want to change
                    }                                                       //all the old elbow values to.
                }

//Here is where I actually change the old element to the new element

//oldlist contains every Id of every elbow that I would like to change

if (m_ElementType !null)
            { 
                    // Change the elbow to the cached elbow type.
                    foreach (ElementId addedElemId in oldlist)
                    {
                        try
                        {
                            elbow = GlobalData.doc.GetElement(addedElemId) as FamilyInstance;            //get instance of family

// Get Family document for family
                            if (elbow !null)
                            {
                                elbow.Symbol = m_ElementType.Symbol;
                                successCheck = 1;

TaskDialog.Show("New Element", "It's now a " + elbow.Symbol.Family.Name.ToString() + "\n\n" +elbow.Name.ToString() +                                          "\n\n" + elbow.Id.ToString());
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                TaskDialog.Show("ERROR", "Elbow is empty");
                                successCheck = 0;
                            }
                        }
                        catch
                        {
                            TaskDialog.Show("ERROR", "Exception found at Id: " + addedElemId.ToString());
                            successCheck = 0;
                            return Result.Cancelled;
                        }
                    }
            }

My final issue here is that I get thrown into my catch statement. Something goes wrong during "try". Is there a better way to do what I am trying to achieve. I know for sure that the existing element containing the family and type that I want to change to exist and that it is set to m_element_type. I have checked this and pushed it to a dialog box to make sure I was getting a value. Maybe I should not be trying to change the value by finding an existing elbow that I want all the others to be like. 

If this is not enough information or anyone has questions, let me know. I would love to get this cleared up as best I can. All help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

If there is a way to do this without having to have an element of the family and type I desire, that would be the prefered method of solving this issue. I had trouble just trying to do this with any other method.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community