Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manifest localization

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Andrey_Bushman
504 Views, 3 Replies

manifest localization

Revit 2017.1.1

I have read the Localization web-page. This page has link to Walkthrough: Creating Managed Satellite DLLs article. That article describes how to create the assembly on the base of Visual Studio Add-in template. But my Visual Studio 2015 hasn't such template.

> In Solution Explorer, right-click Resource1.resx and then click Properties.

> In the Properties window, change Build Action from Embedded Resource to None.

> At the command prompt, type AL.exe /embed:Resource1.resources /culture:en-US /out:Add-In Name.resources.dll.

> Replace Add-In Name by using the name of your add-in. For example, if your add-in project is named MyAddin, then the /out: switch would be

> /out:MyAddin.resources.dll. The /out: name must match the name of your project; otherwise, the resource DLL will not be found.

Ok... I switched the Build Action and called the utilities:

cd /D "D:\projects\vs\Revit\CodeExamples\Transactions"
resgen TransactionExample.resx
AL.exe /embed:TransactionExample.resources /culture:en /out:TransactionExample.resources.dll

After compilation of my add-in, I created  en subdirectory in the output directory and copied the TransactionExample.resources.dll into that folder.

This is my manifest file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<RevitAddIns>
   <AddIn Type="Command">
      <Assembly>Transactions\Transactions.dll</Assembly>
      <AddInId>{C857093F-594E-4384-9FA3-5897D874C0FD}</AddInId>
      <FullClassName>Revit.CodeExamples.Transactions.TransactionExample</FullClassName>
      <Text>@Text</Text>
      <VendorId>@VendorId</VendorId>
      <VendorDescription>@VendorDescription</VendorDescription> 
      <VisibilityMode>NotVisibleInFamily</VisibilityMode>
      <Discipline>Structure</Discipline>
      <AvailabilityClassName>Revit.CodeExamples.Transactions.TransactionExampleAvailability</AvailabilityClassName>
      <LongDescription>@LongDescription</LongDescription>
      <TooltipImage>@zero</TooltipImage>
      <LargeImage>@zero</LargeImage>
   </AddIn>
</RevitAddIns>

But Revit doesn't display the text from resources for /language ENU key. Look the attached screens, please. Why does it happen?

Usually, when I create localized resources I don't switch Embedded Resource to None, and IDE creates resources automatically. But Revit doesn't see these localized resources also. Therefore I tried to use focuses with resgen.exe and al.exe. as recommends Autodesk...

My project code source is attached too.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Dear Andrey,

Thank you for your interesting query.

I have not worked with localised resources.

The first thought that comes to mind is:

This may be an issue with .NET functionality not working automatically as expected unless the assembly DLL lives in the same folder as or a subfolder of Revit.exe.

Have you checked that possibility?

I hope this helps.

I look forward to discovering and documenting a solution to this.

I am sure that would be useful for others as well.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 4

I created new special HelloWorld project for demonstration of this problem and published it on Bitbucket here. At the Russian forum Revit API (here) I described a problem in more detail. After all my experiments I began to think that it never worked in Revit and was never checked by anybody, even by those who wrote documentation. I nevertheless hope that I am mistaken...

Message 4 of 4

> This may be an issue with .NET functionality not working automatically as expected unless the assembly DLL lives in the same folder as or a subfolder of Revit.exe.

>

> Have you checked that possibility?

It didn't help me. I tried to do it with my HelloWorld project. I placed the output (the HelloWorld directory with its content) into the "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2017\AddIns\" directory.

Also I edited my "C:\Users\developer\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017\HelloWorld.addin" file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<RevitAddIns>
  <AddIn Type="Command">
    <Assembly>C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2017\AddIns\HelloWorld\HelloWorld.dll</Assembly>
    <AddInId>{39E8DC8B-DC8F-44A5-ABC9-39442B5031ED}</AddInId>
    <FullClassName>HelloWorld.ExternalCommand</FullClassName>
    <Text>@Text</Text>
    <VendorId>@VendorId</VendorId>
    <VendorDescription>@VendorDescription</VendorDescription>
    <VisibilityMode>NotVisibleInFamily</VisibilityMode>
    <Discipline>Structure</Discipline>
    <Discipline>Architecture</Discipline>
    <AvailabilityClassName>HelloWorld.ExternalCommandAvailability</AvailabilityClassName>
    <LongDescription>@LongDescription</LongDescription>
    <TooltipImage>@TooltipImage</TooltipImage>
    <LargeImage>@LargeImage</LargeImage>
  </AddIn>
</RevitAddIns>

But it didn't solve the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community