Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student License Changes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
daniel.aponte
573 Views, 5 Replies

Student License Changes

Hello,

My name is Daniel Aponte, and I am a PhD student at McGill University. I have been using ReMake for about 9 months now (ever since it was called Memento) for a project looking at improving helmet fit. We at our lab had been enjoying the benefits and high resolution renders that were available through the student license, and it has become an integral part of that aspect in our lab.

Our results so far are very  good, but are not the same with standard resolution renders (we could send you an abstract and figures of our renders to review). Now that ReMake has changed the student version to only be able to make standard quality renders, what are options for us at our lab to continue to make high quality renders? 

Also, what were the motives of limiting the University/Student licences?

Thank you for your time,

Daniel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
elmerbol
in reply to: daniel.aponte

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to explain our rational for putting limits on the processing quality for student licenses. Most important thing to realize is that allowing customers to process data in our cloud costs us a significant amount of money. In the case of paying customers, this is not an issue as there is a price they are paying for that service which covers our costs. For students, the commercial license to ReMake is free. This license gives you access to our high resolution processing service in the cloud. This is not necessarily free for students.

When we launched we decided to keep it simple and give full access to students at the full resolution without any limits. As time has progressed the large majority of ultra jobs that have been submitted were coming from students and that means that we were starting to incur very large costs. As a consequence we needed to remove the highest tier cloud processing capability from the student license. Students still have access to that capability but there is simply a cloud credit fee to be paid for every job you process. We have kept all the image limits the same for students so you can still process 250 images at standard resolution and you can still process up to 1000 images on a local machine at Ultra quality.

If you want to process in the cloud you will have to purchase cloud credits. But again, you can still process locally for free if you have a strong machine.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks
Elmer

Message 3 of 6
brigitte.zieger
in reply to: elmerbol

Hello, I wrote about a major bug on Remake this week, I could work since one month without problems, now the software is totally blocked. I have the Educational free license and did everything in Ultra. There are ten meshes on the dashborad, Is it possible that the limits you put on the use of the eductional freeware did affect the Software at the point to block it  ? On the contrary Tatjana told me that  the Mac license of Remake is only a beta version and not ready for sale, is that so ? Could you please clear this out ?

Many thanks

Brigitte

Message 4 of 6

Hi Brigitte,

As a simple ReMake user, I can tell you that the "Ultra"versions were not coming out after the changes. They were not blocked, however, they would just come out as "Standard" resolution. Did you try to send out the renders again in "Standard" mode? You may want to try that since it is the only version available for free using the student license.

Your other option would be to render them offline, on your machine. When doing that, you can render in "Ultra" mode and adjust some of the settings. Bare in mind that you will need a minimum of 16GB of system RAM and a dedicated graphics card with 3D acceleration.

I have been able to render them on our lab computer. It takes around 4 hrs for a head render with 2.8M polygons to be rendered.

Dan

Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your response.

The point is that I can not do anything at all, the soft is totally blocked. I did reinstall it 2 times, no way. Each time I open it all the meshes appear on the dashboard, but I can not work, even not close the meshes and I can not switch from the dashboard to the working screen (see image joint). My system has 20 GB of ram, and the card is ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 Mo, do you think this is enough ?

Any idea what happend ?

Thanks

Brigitte

Message 6 of 6

Hi Brigitte,

I really think this is the type of thing someone from AutoDesk would need to look into for you. Your system certainly has all the hardware requirements to perform offline renders. Has AutoDesk given any feedback?

Looking at the *.tiff you sent, though, it looks like the thumbnails of your past renders are missing some information. Perhaps it has something to do with the photographs you are using, or the method of taking pictures. I've only used photogrammetry smaller objects and head renders, so I have a very controlled setup that is optimized for photogrammetry.

Best,

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report