Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReCap vs. ReMake

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bevlin510
10480 Views, 12 Replies

ReCap vs. ReMake

Hi,

What's the difference between ReCap and ReMake?  I've been reading the intro pages, and it looks like ReCap works with point clouds, and ReCap Pro and ReMake work with meshes?  Then, what's the difference between ReMake and ReCap Pro?  The ReMake webpage says ReMake can clean up meshes from ReCap, so would it be better to start in ReMake and skip ReCap?

The other threads with this question were drone specific.  I don't need GeoTiffs or to work offline at the moment, just need to know which is the best software to create 3D models from 2D images?

Thanks,

Bev

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

HIya.

let me try to position them:

- anything connected with data from Laser scans ( register, clean up and prepare for downlstream workflows - you need ReCap Pro) as part of the subscription you get also access to ReCap 360 which is the photo to 3d mesh solution mainly focused around drone capture and landscape type of use where ortho imagery etc is important.

ReCap also allows you to combine laser scan data of a building with photo scanned data from a drone - in a POINT  cloud environment

and reCao ahas a service to convert a laser scan to mesh and then clean up fix and export in remake

if you are not interested in drone data, ReMake is for you  - its a complete solution from capture to high end model prepped for further design use, AR?VR, 3d printing or publish on the web.

(the quality of the 3d models are same regardless if you send them from ReMake or from reCap360 - what ReMake offers is an environement that can create but also clean up fix edit and optimize the HUGE meshes that are  a usual result when high quality meshes are made from reality and prepare them for the above mentioned use

hope this helps

tanja

Message 3 of 13

Can you please provide a little further information about the statement "if you are not interested in drone data, remake is for you..." ?

I was almost settled on my decision to go with Remake until I read your comment. I need some drone input for aerial images of heritage buildings and sites... I should choose Recap 360?
Message 4 of 13
murali.p
in reply to: naddison

Hi,

ReCap and ReMake uses exact same service/engine under the hood.

Currently, ReCap has the ability to input survey points on the images which ReMake does not have. On the other hand ReMake has a comprehensive set of tools to process extremely large datasets (something that drones can easily generate).

Regards,

Murali

Message 5 of 13
paul.kawuma
in reply to: murali.p

Can .RCS and .RCM files be imported and edited in Civil 3d?

Message 6 of 13
infinitetechs
in reply to: bevlin510

Not sure if this will help, but I have spent the last few days trying to use ReMake. So far it has not produced anything remotely identifiable as the things I have tried to "remake". Having the survey points or anything that could help the computer understand when the image angle and camera position moves seems like it would be better. Maybe ReCap is better for this? I hope so because so far ReMake doesn't work at all and takes hours of work and produces useless meshes that look like nothing. I would suggest you try ReCap or maybe look for another solution personally

Message 7 of 13
james_oneill

Hi Murali...are there any possibilities in combining ReCap/ReMake capabilities? What if some survey type images with large over/side-lap? James

Message 8 of 13
james_oneill
in reply to: naddison

Hi...what kind of heritage sites are you scanning? I'm working on the Chelsea Plantation in King William County VA and other sites in Williamsburg and Yorktown. When I figure how to share/include people on my site I'll share some stuff...Rgds., James 

Message 9 of 13

Hi @infinitetechs,

there are many users out there who were able to create amazing reconstruction by using ReMake. Could you please be more precise and write down more informations and technical details about your attempts? Also, it would be really useful to understand the issue you experienced, and hence helping you out, if you could share a screenshot of your datasets.

Thanks.

Cheers,

V.

"Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it" Prof. Cubert J. Farnsworth
Message 10 of 13
murali.p
in reply to: james_oneill

Hi,

We are evaluating the possibilities. Although we haven't been working on it, we will consider your question as a request/wish-list. Thank you!

Regards,

Murali

Message 11 of 13
cekuhnen

@murali.p

Thanks for clarifying this but I noticed that ReMake models are much larger than ReCap models around 10 to 15 MB in file size actually.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 12 of 13

What i wish to do is to convert a 2D picture into 3D. What is better for this situation? Remake or Recap Pro?

All i want to do is use google earth pro to capture a video of sydeny opera house and then take some photo of that in 2d form, then use remake to convert that into a 3d mesh. Is that what recap is but newer then remake?

Message 13 of 13
gerald_chin
in reply to: raghavsood999

Hi @raghavsood999,

We would like to inform you that ReMake is moving to Autodesk® ReCap™ Photo, our new photo-to-3D service with the capacity to process up to 1,000 photos. ReCap Photo is available immediately through a subscription to ReCap Pro.

Features and benefits of ReCap Photo include:

• A new photogrammetry engine that can process up to 1,000 photos, a 4x improvement from the previous maximum of 250 photos (note: using the cloud service consumes Autodesk Cloud Credits)
  • The ability to set GPCs (Ground Control Points, survey points) in any coordinate system.
  • New functionality to support vertical and nadir photos (photos taken by drones and UAVs at 90 degrees above the site)
  • View your 3D photo-textured mesh
  • View the geolocated orthographic view, zoom in and out, and add measurements, tags, and annotations.
  • Share the project, including its additional metadata (measurements, tags, annotations), with anyone.
  • Merge laser scan point clouds with UAV-based point clouds.

To learn more about the benefits of ReCap Photo as well as to get access to a special promotional offer see this article

For more info on ReMake and this change you may check this FAQ article.

Cheers,
Gerald Chin
Senior User Experience Designer,
Autodesk Vault

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report