Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeted Registration?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Chad-Smith
370 Views, 6 Replies

Targeted Registration?

I'm ripping my hair out at the moment trying to figure out how the new targeted registration process works, and the online Help hasn't yet been updated to match.

I am selecting the globe targets on the left side, but it won't then allow me to pick the corresponding targets on the right half of the screen.

I don't know what I am doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
morgan.smith
in reply to: Chad-Smith

Chad,

I have found the following links helpful.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eObPJzKIKI

Guide: http://www.recapproduct.com/TargetWorkflow.pdf

Source: http://www.recapproduct.com/blog/2014/09/new-version-of-autodesk-recap-pro-makes-reality-capture-eas...

Cheers,

Morgan.

Morgan Smith
Implementation Consultant

Message 3 of 7
MarcZinck

Hi Chad,

We have created a set of slides to help guide users through the new workflows in 1.4.

Autodesk ReCap Pro v1.4x: How to Report and Refine Cloud Registration Accuracy Using Targets (opens in a new window)

Please let us know if this document helps and what additional resources would make your experience more successful.

Marc

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 7
Chad-Smith
in reply to: MarcZinck

Thanks guys for the document reference. That answered it.

The mistake I was making was thinking that the point registration was an alternative to using the targets.

But if I now understand this correctly, the point registration gets the scans in rough alignment to start with, and the targets are identifiable markers which now help with bringing that alignment together with far more accuracy.

Correct?
Message 5 of 7
morgan.smith

I believe so. Based on limited documentation available, it allows users to refine the accuracy of the registration process. Not sure if this process superceds the adding of survey  networks in earlier versions of ReCap Pro where users could add survey markers or survey target, but they needed to be surveyed with a total station and placed into the scan project.

Online Help on how to Add Survey networks (prior to v1.4)

If anyone elsse can confirm this, feel free to comment.

Cheers,

Morgan.

Morgan Smith
Implementation Consultant

Message 6 of 7
Chad-Smith
in reply to: morgan.smith

I'm just wondering why we can't register using the Targets alone?

It seems like a double up of work to register first, and then come back a second time to deal with the targets. If we could just match targets, wouldn't that achieve the same result?
Message 7 of 7
ryan.frenz

Thanks for the feedback and discussion.  Below is a short overview of the new features and their purpose.

Ryan

In ReCap 1.4, checkerboard or sphere targets can be specified in registered scans.  This allows for three new features:

1. Much-improved quality reporting - the common targets you specify are used to generate more natural statistics about the quality of the registration.

2. Better alignment to survey - the survey alignment features from previous versions now also support the new extracted targets.  This can make for a better best-fit alignment (since the extracted points can be determined more accurately).

3. Support for enhancement of registration - if enough common targets exist, you can 'enhance' the registration by including the targets in a bundle adjusted solution.  This helps to improve the registration in some cases where the standard cloud-to-cloud is not sufficient (e.g. outdoor facades, long narrow loops, etc).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report