Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Points Do What?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
BuckWyckoff
329 Views, 2 Replies

Survey Points Do What?

I'm trying to use survey data to get around some difficult registration issues.  I thought, Hey! If I can output an RCS of my data with the coordinate system matching the site survey, then I cam import scans into CAD or MAX and they'll align because the coordinates conform.

I read what there was in the help regarding survey points.  I've now spent half the day messing with them.  I can't for the life of me see what they are good for.  I can only enter survey points in the left panel of a reg process.  I thought when I did this to the base scan, that's scans cs would be translated to the survey and everything else would follow.

The tutorial video showing survey placement on a stone church also showed RMS and alignment QC info, which never shows up for me.  It always says N/A.  My .txt file is in meters and I'm picking the center of targets in scanview that were also surveyed.  Other than placing the survey points in the left pane, they don't seem to be used in reg alignment, nor in translating the scan corrodinates to the survey (though the help seems to suggest that's exactly what it does).  So what the heck do survey points do?

What am I missing here?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ryan.frenz
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

It sounds like you've got the right idea.  From what I can tell, the problem is that you're seeing 'N/A' where you should be getting alignment results.  This implies that you don't have enough points specified in the registered group (you need three).  Whatever is causing it to not get a valid alignment is also why you're not seeing it do anything later.

As long as you have three enabled survey points, even if they are bad, you should still get some kind of RMS result and see a transformation in the final point cloud.

Your 'base scan' explanation is a good approach to do a simple alignment.  Something like this:

1. Put three known targets in your first scan.

2. Register the scans the usual way.

3. At the 'registration complete' page, load the first scan.

4. Add a survey point at each of the known targets.  As you specify the first one, attach your survey file.  For the rest, just pick the correct target from the list.  Once you add the third point, you should see your result change from N/A to something valid.

5. Index the scans.  The final point cloud should show up with the final alignment.

One other note is that the survey points can be disabled.  This is represented by a small 'x' instead of a checkmark on the point's icon.  Make sure all your points are enabled (at least the 3+ you want to use).

Ryan

Message 3 of 3
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Thanks Ryan,

I think where I went wrong (and where the limited online help was fuzzy) was that you need to actually register scans together with targets, then go back to the base and replace those targets with survey data.  Then during the indexing it will conform to the survey.  I was just adding survey data to the base scan and then registering scans to it with other picked points.  Nothing happened.  I'll use the method outlined and see what gives.

Thanks

Buck Wyckoff

BDSI

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report