Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scattered scans

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
godiving
776 Views, 10 Replies

Scattered scans

I am using FARO Scene to register my scans, then using ReCap to produce the point cloud. When I launch the project in recap it looks good. everything is aligned as it should be. When the Recap file is attached into AutoCAD several of the scans scatter out of alignment. Has anybody come across this issue? know of a fix?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
acmorris
in reply to: godiving

This sounds like a new bug. Are you using the latest version of ReCap... that is, ReCap Pro?

If you have not yet tried ReCap Pro, go to www.autodesk.com/recap to download. Also note that ReCap Pro provides target-less registration. Many users have seen significant time savings in the field using ReCap Pro to register. If you are using a FARO Focus 3D and take color scans, ReCap Pro can also colorize scans on import.

Message 3 of 11
waltwhitman70

Hi,

I am using the free trail of Recap and I am in desperate need of some help. The scans I have worked with were colorized in SCENE and exported into e57 files. I import those into Recap and 2 key scans are scattered while the rest remain in their respective positions. I cannot register and I have changed the origin point multiple times. I split this up into 3 different projects( 1 for each seperated scan and 1 for the grouping)  and they were converted into rcs files where I had changed the origin points before the export. I then imported them back into Recap and they were still scattered. I need this help before Tuesday.

Please and Thank You,

Walt Whitman 70 

Message 4 of 11

Try exporting the regsitered scans to FLS. Recap can read those.
Upgrade to 1.4.2.8 before your next attempt.
Message 5 of 11

They were originally .fls scans, but the e57 format was chosen in order to have the scans colorized instead of the grey-scale that the .fls gives.

Waltwhitman70
Message 6 of 11
waltwhitman70

Also,

I have the updated version of the free trial of recap, but these files still scatter. Are they any ways for me to fix this so it looks neat and fluid?

Waltwhitman70

Message 7 of 11

I just converted everything back into .fls; these files will remain colorized right? Also, it seems that the .fls files are not importing. Is there a way to fix this (I looked for the software updates through the Autodesk Application Manager and it only let me upgrade my recap to 1.4.2.2)?

Waltwhitman70

Message 8 of 11

I would actually like to say that I did upgrade the recap to 1.4.2.8, I saved the files as colorized .fls files and they are now not importing into Recap. Is there any explanation and/or solution to this? Please give me a response as soon as you can.

Please and Thank You,

Waltwhitman70

Message 9 of 11
brian
in reply to: waltwhitman70

Walt

I believe you are experiencing twoseparate problems that are common when trying to get scans from Scene to Recap.  The first problem where scans are not imported in the right place is due to the way Scene saves versions of the scan project.  The solution is to us the command "Save a copy of scans" from top cluster in Scene's structure view.  This will save a new copy of the scans which include the correct transformations.  Then import the copies of the scans to Recap.   

I believe the second problem where Recap won't load the .fls files is probably due to you either installing a new version of recap or a new version of Scene.  The solution to this problem is to install the Scene SDK file then register two DLLs.  (I'm experiencing some trouble with this with Scene 5.4.4 but if you haven't installed that version you should be fine)

Here are the specific steps from a post on another forum...

- Open a cmd (Be sure to right click and run as administrator)
- Navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_faro.ls_1d23f5635ba800ab_1.1.503.0_none_347e8cc7032f51d6
- Enter “regsvr32 iqopen.dll
- Enter “regsvr32 faro.ls.sdk.dll
- Restart Recap

You shouldn't need to use .e57 to maintain color.  I believe you lose the bubble view if you use .e57.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 11
dustinmanning
in reply to: brian

This is interesting. I have to check that the "...502....' version of the iqopen.dll is registered. It doesn't seem to make a difference if the latest version is registered or not.  On 4 installs with the latest recap version (1.4.2.8) I am experiencing failure to index very often, all with . FLS files. It seems there is no hard and fast rule as to which SDK is actually providing the functionality.

Message 11 of 11
richiee
in reply to: dustinmanning

The gist is that updates of Scene will install an updated version of the sdk and the linkings get broken. ReCap checks these links when you update and fixes it if need be, but otherwise you have to fix it manually (as mentioned in the previous responses). The good news is that the next update for ReCap will eliminate this problem and you won't need to use the manual dll registration process and it will just work regardless of the sdk version or sequence of updates.

In the meantime, you should be able to use this tool to avoid needing to run all of those commands manually.

https://autodesk.box.com/s/3kaybt5aeolx8e9tipgz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report