Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running RECAP without an internet connection

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
d.mercel
5690 Views, 16 Replies

Running RECAP without an internet connection

Is it possible to run Recap without connecting to the internet first to login?

We operate a standalone network that is not connected to the internet and so it is impossible to login to the Autodesk login.  The application just quits if it cannot find an internet connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
kubitTilo
in reply to: d.mercel

@d.mercel wrote:

Is it possible to run Recap without connecting to the internet first to login?

It should, at least it does on my machine.

I think it's probably a graphics card related issue. Please try

updating ReCap (there's a service pack already)
    updating your graphics card driver

If this is to no avail, try posting your issue to the Laser Scanning Forum. There are some decent experts out there.

Tilo Pfliegner
Message 3 of 17
brianmathews

UPDATED:

There are two answers currently:

1) For the free ReCap that you download from the web site, ReCap only needs that internet connection one time.  If you can get internet access once, log-in and from then on you should stay logged in to ReCap even if you don't have an internet connection.

2) If you have another Autodesk product installed that includes ReCap in the product (including almost all of the Autodesk Suites, or many of the popular stand-alone applications like AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor) then I do not belevie it requires a login to work.  I think the login is only required with the free ReCap used by itself.

It is a good idea for at least one person in your company to get internet connectivity on a regular basis to check for product patches, etc.  For example there was a ReCap patch shortly after launch in April.  When you connect while logged in you can receive Autodesk notifications about patches, etc.

Let me know if neither of these options works for you.  We may not have a solution currently but the feedback can help the team prioritize future improvements.

Message 4 of 17

Hi Brian,

Can you actually show where is this "free ReCap that you download from the web site", because so far, I was able to find only a "Free trial ReCap Pro" and "ReCap Photo", on the Autodesk site!

I would also like to know to which one of these versions (the two above and the one deployed with other Autodesk products) does the ReCap SP1 apply?

It looks that the documentation and the explanations about this product are a little bit scarce and fuzzy so far, creating and maintaining a lot of confusion!

Thanks in advance,

Constantin

Message 5 of 17

Hello Constantin,

Let me clarify.  At this point, both ReCap offerings (ReCap Pro and ReCap Photo) are in free trial.  ReCap Pro is the most current desktop product, which replaces ReCap Studio with ReCap SP1. 

ReCap Studio is packaged with Suites products and the service pack will apply to it.

ReCap Pro (available online only) has a collection of additional features (such as registration) that extend the features that were available in ReCap Studio.  

We are actively improving the documentation and apologize for any confusion. If you have any questions, please reach out through this forum and we will address.

- Aaron

Message 6 of 17

Hi Aaron,

Very clear explanation, thank you for the quick reply 🙂

Regards,

Constantin

Message 7 of 17

I've been hosed by this myself.  I long for the days when you buy software.  You receive software.  You install software.  It runs without tethering to the mothership.  I was told it (ReCap Pro) will work for up to a month without an internet connection.  That is true.  The pitfall is, I took my Surface Pro3 on a job, but didn't launch ReCap Pro on it before I left.  When in the studio, I run it on my main graphics machines, so the software doesn't get used on portable devices. 

Because it had been a long while since I ran it on the laptop, once I was in the field and tried to launch it, it wouldn't run.  I was able to save myself by making my phone a mobile hotspot, then ReCap Pro got happy. So if you find yourself about to embark on a similar workflow, try to remember to launch the software on your laptop before you leave.

Again, an example of how things were easier before control left the user and entered the cloud. 

Message 8 of 17
devangshah
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Please note that ReCap Pro when licensed using Token-Flex (Network license) can be used offline for a maximum of six months before there is a need to validate the license again. 

Borrowing a license:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/You-wa...

Regards,

Devang 

Message 9 of 17
sgrisez

As a precaution I have been signing out and signing back in to ReCap Pro before I go out in the field.  So far this has saved me from embarrassment in the field, but when I did this the night before ReCap Pro somehow signed me out, only after one day.  So I don't trust the 2-week need to sign back in.  I'm using the current version of ReCap Pro: 4.2.1.7.  Maybe this will get better in time.  Personally I would prefer not to ever have to log back in again after it has been done 'once' initially.  Then I would be fine if when my license expires and I need to renew, that would be ok to have to sign back in.

At the moment I need to trust the sign in and then it should work as expected out in the field where I don't have wi-fi.  If it fails, my only solution is to find a starbucks or another wifi to sign in then ReCap Mobile should work as expected with only the 'blk360' wifi.

Message 10 of 17
devangshah
in reply to: sgrisez

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

If there is a need for onsite use for ReCap with lack of access to the internet, then setting up a network license server on the same machine and using the 'network' option for ReCap Pro might be a more optimal solution. 

ReCap's sign in mechanism is a Single Sign On. i.e. if you log out for another application then ReCap's sign-out also takes place. 

Thanks,

Devang

Message 11 of 17
siravi.seo
in reply to: devangshah

Nice, thanks for sharing your experience. 

Message 12 of 17
andy.s.rich
in reply to: brianmathews

Wrong. I have to log in all the time even though I select stay logged in.

Message 13 of 17
sgrisez
in reply to: andy.s.rich

This is not my experience at all. Every two weeks for sure, which I don’t like. I’m curious why your experience is different. Are you up to date with the software?
Message 14 of 17
andy.s.rich

I am running version 5.0.1.30

Andy
Message 15 of 17
sgrisez

I believe you.  But this makes no sense to me.  Perhaps it is a bug with the new version.  I do know that Autodesk was having issues with accounts being ‘lost’ or in-useable.  I would log in to my autodesk account and it had lost my subscription multiple times.  It was not until I complained to them repeatedly that they corrected the problem.  I needed to complain over the course of 1yr.  I would regularly loose my Recap Pro license and my AEC Collections license.  I found it interesting that my expired perpetual M&E suite was still connected but that my current collection was gone along with my ReCap Pro.  

I would be curious if you log into your Autodesk account if they show your ReCap Pro as active or is it even there.  Maybe like mine it has disappeared.

@andy.s.richwrote:
I am running version 5.0.1.30

Andy

Message 16 of 17
andy.s.rich

I had the same problem with the last version. My account is there, I am just forced to sign in when I should not have to.
Message 17 of 17
sgrisez

Have you contacted Autodesk directly? If you have ReCap Pro, do you have the extra paid for support? Even if you haven’t they should support you as this should not happen.

I just updated to the latest version, of ReCap Pro, as you did. I used it the other day. I will check to see if it requires me to login tomorrow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report