Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration Issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
kgrover
782 Views, 7 Replies

Registration Issue

I have a problem with the units in Recap Pro when registering. 

When adding survey control points, if you manually enter a point the XYZ units to enter a point is in meters. However, if you import a text file of points, or when you choose a point from the list that has already been entered, the XY units are in KM and the Z is in meters. Since it is in KM, it actaully truncates the stored coordinate by 3 decimal places, thus losing a ton of precision. 

For example, if you enter a coordinate for a point of 6404.047, 5935410.721, 711.207 (XYZ in meters respectively), then in another scan pick the same target and choose that point from the list, it returns 6.404, 5935411, 711.207. The XY are now in KM and indicate as such in the window, but the Z stays in meters. See the attached image. 

This a huge registration bug, and I can't seem to find a way to fix it, since it just defaults to KM for the X and Y. 

Is this a known bug, and is there a fix available soon?? 

Kevin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ryan.frenz
in reply to: kgrover

Hi Kevin,

The target coordinates are stored in (double-precision) meters at all times.  The conversion/truncation you see is simply for displaying the coordinate in the fixed-width pop-up.  I believe this can be disabled in the user settings (Gear icon from the home screen).  I'll track that down.

Are you seeing a problem with the alignment, or just concerned because of the display conversion?

Ryan

Message 3 of 8
ryan.frenz
in reply to: ryan.frenz

The setting is 'Auto-Appropriate Unit' in the 'General' tab, 'Units' box.  See attached image.  If you un-check this box you'll see the full-precision metric value.

Ryan

Message 4 of 8
kgrover

Thanks Ryan. When I had tried it previously, it seemed to give me funny results, but after changing the setting it seems to work fine.

I appreciate you getting back to me on this.

Thanks.

Kevin

Message 5 of 8
kgrover

So I have another issue now, when trying to register to imperial control. 

It looks like if your units are set in Recap to ft, then try to enter control it displays as feet, but once you enter the XYZ, it scales what you entered to meters. This is strange. 

However, I converted my control from metric to imperial, then entered the survey points in metric, and it seemed to register fine. But when when I try to view the indexed point cloud, I can't see it anywhere (even though my control is around 5000,5000). All I can see is the mirror balls. 

If I link the point cloud to Autocad, i can see teh point cloud at the correct location, but I can't see anything in recap. 

Not sure what might be causing this, and I am also curious why is it such an odd process to utilize imperial control. 

Kevin

Message 6 of 8
ryan.frenz

About the control units - let me investigate more and get back to you.

About the cloud not appearing after alignment to control - you probably just need to reset your limit box (cube icon on the left).  This is a known issue that we're working on.

Ryan

Message 7 of 8
kgrover
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Thanks Ryan. Resetting the view cube worked. That is a hidden little gem!

Kevin

Message 8 of 8
ryan.frenz

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for not getting back to you.  I have been told that, at the moment, we only support control files in meters, with column order:

<Target Name> <X> <Y> <Z>

So if your control is in imperial (or Northing/Easting order), ReCap won't account for that and will treat the data as XYZ/meters.  Normally this should cause significantly larger RMS values (depending of course on the target geometry).

Supporting imperial files and other column formats is on our backlog for future development.

Ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report