Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReCap Pro will not import previously registered scans or raw scans

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
jhostetler
4857 Views, 37 Replies

ReCap Pro will not import previously registered scans or raw scans

I am having issues with Recap. I am very familiar with Laser scanning and have worked on a lot of projects. The last 3 projects though, we have been having some issues. We use a FARO scanner and usually register the scans using FARO Scene. We then import those scans in to ReCap and index the scan files. After that we load the file in to Revit with no issue. For some reason though, ReCap will not import the files. The software freezes every time I do so. I have even tried to bring the raw scan files in to ReCap and just register from there, but even then the software freezes. I even went to the lengths of indexing the registered files through revit directly and that crashed revit as well. I have tried this on 4 machines and the same thing happens with each. I know the scans are fine do to checking them and this happening on 3 projects in a row now. Has something changed in the software? I need help ASAP!

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
mcarroll
in reply to: vidanom

First off, Thank you for posting this. It was extremely helpful. 

Second, unfortunitely it didnt work for me. I am trying to import these two scans of our office lobby into Recap.Its important for me to get this done and show the process for various reason... Can you please help me find a way to make this work. I do not have scene to alter these files. Just the .fls files.

Thanks

Mitch

Message 22 of 38
cheliotes
in reply to: mcarroll

Recap Import Fix.JPG

Message 23 of 38
mcarroll
in reply to: cheliotes

Thanks for the response.

I attempted this and when importing the scans it imports about 5% and then goes back to 0%. The fls files are good, so im not quite sure as to what is happening?

Message 24 of 38
cheliotes

Have you installed the Faro Scene Importer (SDK)? If not, here is the link:

http://www.faro.com/faro-3d-app-center/stand-alone-apps/scene-importer-%28sdk%29

-Chris

Message 25 of 38
jhostetler

I am the original poster of this issue and I still cannot get anything to work. I have given up on it as it is taking too long. What I have done as a work around is exporting the Scans from FARO Scene to a .E57 file. Then from there I open Revit and import those raw .E57 scan files (import as point cloud then select the .E57 files) and then revit indexes the scans and creates .rcs files. When that is done I can open Recap and import the .rcs files that revit created and then save those to a .rcp project file and then load that back in to revit or any other software. Lots of work, but all in all it goes pretty fast

Message 26 of 38
richiee

Can you tell us more about your process? What version of ReCap are you using, what Suite(s) you might already have installed, and their versions as well? We'll try to help track this down.
Message 27 of 38
richiee
in reply to: jhostetler

Did you follow up any further with Cloud after his last response? We're definitely interested in finding/fixing the problem. You say that you're still having this issue even with the latest versions of ReCap? Which version of Revit are you using?
Message 28 of 38
dustinmanning

I'm having the same issue as many of the users who have posted on this forum. I'm currently stepping through all the recommended procedures. It has been a month since the last post. Is there any update from anyone?

Message 29 of 38
jhostetler
in reply to: dustinmanning

I have not had any luck. Autodesk keeps telling me to make sure I have the latest versions of everything but I have been doing that for months. I am an Autodesk reseller and have access to the latest software and versions. I have unistalled and reinstalled a million times and have tripple checked the specs on all of our computers. Everything is fine on my end but this still wont work.

Every now and then I am able to bring in a faro scene scan file into recap but I have to do them one at a time and if I do any more than that it crashes. The best bet is to do the work around that I mentioned a few posts ago. 

I have even worked with Faro to get a hot fix and even do some codeing to allow this to work but none of that has worked yet either

Message 30 of 38
jasonbayer7965

re register your faro .dll

Message 31 of 38
jhostetler
in reply to: jasonbayer7965

done this many of times. That has not worked either

Message 32 of 38
dustinmanning

I've made progress! I work for a reseller also, so I have lots of software installed. I decided to do some house keeping. I removed all 2014 version Autodesk software leaving only 2015 versions. Removed all FARO products except for the most recent SDK. Upon these actions I can import files straight from the FARO scanner into Recap Pro without any problems.

Next I will reinstall the latest version of scene and see if this causes any hiccups. Not to say that this will answer any of your questions but I thought it may offer some insight.

Message 33 of 38
richiee
in reply to: dustinmanning

Dustin, after updating SCENE you'll probably need to follow these steps to be able to import again: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ReCap-Pro-General/Using-ReCap-after-installing-Faro-SCENE-5-3/td-p/516...

(Unfortunately, every time you install an update for SCENE, it will break ReCap's links to the needed libraries. ReCap updates check for this and try to fix them, but sometimes you'll need to preform the steps from my previous link if a SCENE update comes out in the middle of our update cycle.)

Just a heads up.

Message 34 of 38
dustinmanning
in reply to: richiee

So far this is not my experience. Please see attached file for list of my installed programs. Below is a list of the order the softwares were installed/uninstalled.

IDSU 2014

IDSU 2015 (including recap pro)

Uninstall complete IDSU 2014 product list

FARO LS 5.3.2.38168

Scene 5.3.2.38168 x64

I have no problem importing .FLS directly from a FARO x330 into recap. No registration of .dll was performed prior to testing import.

Am I just lucky or was there an Autodesk 2014 product causing a problem? I will be selling FARO scanners and supporting all the related software so I would love to have a solid handle on this before I start getting support requests.

Message 35 of 38

Do i need, or will it help, to delete the other SDK folders that i find in c:\Windows\winsxs, as shown in the attached picture?

I have:

xxxxxxx_1.1.500.1_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.502.0_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.502.3_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.502.5_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.502.6_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.503.0_none_xxxx

xxxxxxx_1.1.503.2_none_xxxx

Message 36 of 38
richiee
in reply to: f.scott.reed

There is no need to delete those. (If fact, depending on where each one came from, some of them could potentially still be in use if it was installed by something other than ReCap.)
Message 37 of 38
jhostetler
in reply to: vidanom

So it has been a while since I have added to this post. I am the original person who started this thread. I was finally able to get this to work. Unfortunately it was when our office got brand new desktops and we started from scratch and slowly installed software on it. It also seemed to be with the new Autodesk ReCap 360 that has allowed this to work. I up to this point was Running Recap 360 (the Pro version) and FARO Scene 5.4.4. This had been running great for quite some time. 

But now for the Bad news.... Our office has just updated to the new FARO Scene 5.5 due to some deep rooted issues we found in 5.4 that was causing serious error in scan data, we were assured that Scene 5.5 would have these issues resolved and were supposed to have a lot of newer and nicer features. Well since we have upgraded it has been nothing but issues. The items that were supposed to be fixed were not and guess what... now I can no longer import .fls Scene files in to ReCap once again. So now I am back as square one. 

Has there been any development on this since the last posts?

Message 38 of 38
dustinmanning

After updating to the latest version of Recap we have not had any issues with indexing FLS files from Scene 5.5. Feel free to send a scan to me if you want me to test but version 2.2.25 has been working very well. Previously we had to register the DLL's very often but as I understand it this should not be required any longer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report