Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap is not a stable product....cannot trust the output

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
p2sjames
431 Views, 9 Replies

Recap is not a stable product....cannot trust the output

I work for a laser scanning company, and with clients moving forward we are using Revit 2014 a lot more with pointcloud data.

The data we are getting out of recap is not up to standard, and almost every RCS file created is causing us problems.   The main issue is recap not fully processing all the points - ie converting a 9gb PTS and having a RCS file about 500mb in size, or it massively decimating it, although 0 decimation has been selected.

This is happening on 90% of projects we are processing, meaning we are having to convert PTS, PCG, RCS to hopefully get the correct outcome...even then it can be hit and miss to getting good data to work with.

Can you advise on what to do, and how this can be rectified?

scan2BIM - www.point2surveyors.com
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
richiee
in reply to: p2sjames

Can you tell us more about the results you are seeing? The file sizes will be significantly different between PTS and RCS, but that is a result of how the data is stored within the format and not an indication of data loss. The file sizes will never be the same.

Have you adjusted the point display settings in Revit? Depending on your settings, it's possible that you could be seeing fewer points than are actually present in the RCS file.

If you can help provide a bit more information about your situation, we'll try to figure out where there might be a problem.

Can you also tell us what version of ReCap you're running?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 10
p2sjames
in reply to: richiee

hi results are major decimation - ie a 25gb pts converting to a 600kb RCS?  - this happens a lot.

or converting a 5gb PTS and getting a 300mb RCS, then converting the PTS to a PCG and then to RCS and getting a 1.2gb RCS (same data set!)

i am running the latest version of recap. 1.3.5.1

how do i adjust point display within Revit?

Message 4 of 10
yan.fu

Could you try to adjust the project units before indexing the raw data at the preference setting on Home View?

We need the unit information to import the data.

If the unit in your raw data is not in meter, it will affect the result of points in .RCS file.

Thanks,

Yan

Message 5 of 10
p2sjames
in reply to: yan.fu

ok i will try that now.  although when going to the options, auto import settings choose M.

I am importing a 40gb PTS file now, and will report back what happens.

Message 6 of 10
yan.fu

Please check what kind of unit the data in your pts file is using. Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
p2sjames
in reply to: yan.fu

it will be metres, all our exports from Cyclone are in metres.

Message 8 of 10
p2sjames

got nothing this time, got to around 40% converting then hit 100% and no RCS file created.

This was converting from the server, could that be an issue with the file and its size?

I will test again on my local drive.

Message 9 of 10
p2sjames

the same using local, no RCS created.

do you want me to share the 40gb PTS so you can test?

this is what happens quite a lot to, just no file created or a very small one.

Message 10 of 10
p2sjames

in the latest update, is there an error with large PTS not importing ie over 10gb?

i processed 13 PTS files, and all the ones over 10gb did not process.  although in Recap they had a tick they had been imported but no RCS was created.

if someone from ADSK can respond, as this is becoming a real problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report