Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap 100% usage

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
p2sjames
1321 Views, 9 Replies

Recap 100% usage

I have a 5GB RCS file i am splitting into smaller regions and it is not hitting 100% CPU usage when the data is in view on the screen.

What can be causing this?

Obviously, it is causing Recap to run really slow.

scan2BIM - www.point2surveyors.com
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
p2sjames
in reply to: p2sjames

tried this on two PCs and its only happening in this project..could it be from having several regions setup.

Message 3 of 10
p2sjames

after working some more on a new project, i believe this could be linked to an "undo" journal?

as the more i region/delete parts the more CPU Recap uses.

Message 4 of 10
ryan.frenz

Hi,

The CPU usage can increase (and performance decrease) with the amount of overlapping regions (including deletes) in the project.  This is due to the overhead required to compare parts of the cloud to the regions before drawing (or not drawing) them.

Obviously the overall performance impact depends on lots of factors, including CPU/disk/RAM speed, and the specific properties of the selections you have in the project.

This is a known issue and a fix is in active development.  Stay tuned.

Ryan

Message 5 of 10
p2sjames
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the response - i ended up making another RCS from the PTS file and using different regions.

The PC i am using has

32GB ram

Intel Xeon E5-1620v2

x2 SSD drives.

Message 6 of 10
dustinmanning

This is a crippling problem (as I'm sure you are aware) so I'm concerned. I am working with a client on a pilot project (Faro and Autodesk Partnership) and this is going to be a serious problem when they get further into the project. Is there any progress on this?

Message 7 of 10
foutjm
in reply to: dustinmanning

this is STILL a problem with 2016!..very frustrating. 

starting to debate for the 10th time why i even listen to the people that say Recap is a great piece of software. 

the idea is good. but there are other programs for working with point clouds that wipe Recap off the map. 

i cannot backtrack halfway thru the project so i will try the exporting and getting rid of regions "solution".

ugh.

Message 8 of 10
rozierBMKV6

It's 2018. These comments go back 4 yrs. Recap still takes forever to delete with window a portion of a point cloud (.rcp)? No fix or other procedure? Any help would be appreciated. 

@ryan.frenzwrote:

Hi,

The CPU usage can increase (and performance decrease) with the amount of overlapping regions (including deletes) in the project.  This is due to the overhead required to compare parts of the cloud to the regions before drawing (or not drawing) them.

Obviously the overall performance impact depends on lots of factors, including CPU/disk/RAM speed, and the specific properties of the selections you have in the project.

This is a known issue and a fix is in active development.  Stay tuned.

Ryan

Message 9 of 10
Wannes.V

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Been working inside a point cloud for 2 hours, everthing normal. Suddenly when making new regions CPU goes to 100%. Rebooting and re-opening file does not help. I asume this is a BUG in Recap.

Any Suggestions to fix?

Message 10 of 10
toddAD3E9
in reply to: Wannes.V

I try to avoid regions whenever possible.

one trick that has helped me when just deleting points is to do a small area and save each time. If I clean up a large number of points in multiple different areas without saving, Recap seems to stop performing well and CPU stays at 100% until the save is completed.

For editing large projects a software like Cyclone Registry 360 by Leica is really the way to go. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report