Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help exporting point cloud to a step (.STP) file!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3957 Views, 4 Replies

Need help exporting point cloud to a step (.STP) file!

Does anyone know how to get a point cloud that was registered within Recap out to a Step file format so it can be opened up in another 3D modeling software so that it can be used for reference and collision checks with modeled machinery? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
vidanom
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Bryan,

I'm not aware of, but maybe someone else can replay.

If you are trying to bring SAT file in Inventor you can import directly the .rcs files.

If you like to do clash detection I know it can be done in Navisworks 2014-2015

Mitko

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: vidanom

Thank you for the reply, Vidanom. I was trying to see if there was a way to export my registered point cloud out to .STP format for sending to a client. They require that file format for use in their modeling and interference checking software. Is there no way of doing this with Recap? DO I need to find a work around for them? Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
gregamhale
in reply to: Anonymous

You will not be able to save the Point Cloud File to .stp.  In order to utilize the point cloud for clash detection, you need to use a program that has clash detection capabilities and the ability to import point cloud files and .stp files.  Navisworks is probably your best option for clash detection.  It will import the .stp files and .rcp files to coordinate them.  

There are other clash detection softwares out there, but not many that support .stp.  If it is anything other than Navisworks, you will need to export your ReCap files to .e57 or .pts which are widely accepted file formats.

What is the client's modeling and clash detection software that requires .stp?

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: gregamhale

It's not really the kind of clash detection you're probably imagining, more of a visual check with a modeled standard articulating robot arm. The software they will be bringing it into is Solid works. Thank you for the additional information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report