Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move/copy a ReCap Pro project

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jamescope
2231 Views, 7 Replies

move/copy a ReCap Pro project

How do I move/copy a ReCap Pro project to another machine? What files and supporting folders need to moved/copied? How can I make a standalone file for others to use my ReCap Pro work. Typically, I would share my 3d models in an NWD file. I can put that NWD file on practially any machine without any supporting files (i.e. 3D models) and the file functions fine. I am trying to accomplish the same thing in ReCap Pro, but it acts more like an NWF or an unbound XREF dwg file. The RCP file always references some supporting files. How do I "bind" (for lack of a better analogy) a ReCap Pro file for other users not on my network or outside my office?

I have been banging around on ReCap Pro for about a week now, very impressive for an early release. It shows some great promise. Nice work so far.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
godiving
in reply to: jamescope

I am having a similar issue. I registered and indexed my scans on my laptop with Recap Pro. NowI am trying to open them on my desk top but something is missing. When I was working on my laptop I used external hard drives to hopefully avoid this issue. There has to be a file saving to the internal hard drive that i can not find. My cloud will attach on the lap top, but on the Desk top it says that "all scans are not found or invalid" "Attach point cloud failed". 

Message 3 of 8
ryan.frenz
in reply to: godiving

Hi godiving,

Are you trying to attach the moved project into another Autodesk program (AutoCAD, Revit, etc)?  If so you may need to open it first in ReCap Pro to update the project file.  ReCap will ask you to 'reattach' the scan files by locating them on disk (under the project's Support folder).

In general, the proper way to move a ReCap project is to copy the RCP file and its associated Support folder, keeping the same relative structure.  Example:

C:\Data\MyProject\MyProject.rcp

C:\Data\MyProject\MyProject Support\

Copy both MyProject.rcp and MyProject Support to the new location.

D:\Data\MyProject\MyProject.rcp

D:\Data\MyProject\MyProject Support

ReCap will first look for the RCS files in their original location (C:\Data\MyProject\MyProject Support).  When this fails it will then ask you to reattach them at their new location.  All other files will be found automatically.

Ryan

Message 4 of 8
jamescope
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Thanks. That did the trick for the RCP to work on another machine. But ReCap must be on the destination machine. Now I just need to figure out how to make a standalone NWD file from Navisworks of the ReCap project so I don't have to send any supporting files, i.e. .rcp, .rcs, etc. and so my client does not have to install ReCap

Message 5 of 8
rocky1717
in reply to: jamescope

The only way I have found to make a stand alone NWD is to apend in the original oringinal scan .fls files and the output the NWD.  I will tell you it doesn't look quite as good as viewing them as an RCP and you lose the ability to clip unwanted points.

Message 6 of 8
mcarroll
in reply to: rocky1717

I just tried and appending (In Navisworks Manage) the .rcs file exported from ReCap Pro with my cropped regions. Then Saved an NWD in Navis and pulled up the .rcs cloud file from the NWD in Navis Freedom...

Also I suggest making your rcp file into rcs files in general before brining into navis just to consolidate the scans. Though be careful because they can get large quickly.Hope this helps

Mitch

Message 7 of 8
rocky1717
in reply to: mcarroll

To do the workflow you described you must send the supporting RCS file/ files with the .NWD or the end user will not be able to view the point cloud.  The original post said that in the past he has sent standalone .NWD files for 3D review.  To my knoledge appending .fls or any other raw scan data is the only way to make the standalone .NWD.

Message 8 of 8
mcarroll
in reply to: rocky1717

That is correct. You do have to keep the .rcs file saved locally with the file if given to the client. The benefit to this is you can maintain  a cleaned point cloud opposed to a raw file. So, Rocky is correct that you cannot save this file directly into the nwd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report