Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Points Recap getting slower..to the point of Program Not Responding

90 REPLIES 90
Message 1 of 91
boikie
4626 Views, 90 Replies

Deleting Points Recap getting slower..to the point of Program Not Responding

I have 18 FLS files that I registered in Scene, created a project folder in Recap and imported. I have a lot of cleaning to do on the road (quite a bit of traffic passing during the scanning). Starting out I cliped an area, fenced off somepoints and deleted them. unclipped the pointcloud, found the next area I wanted to clean and repeated the deleting process. After about 20 or so iterations I noticed the reveloving circle and the message Please Wait. This period of waiting got longer and longer with each next deleting process to the point of a standstill.

I have looked on the forum re: slowing down Recap - created a unified scan - again satrted off well but similarly bogged down.

Is it caching points or data some where? I am at a standstill on the project and need to find a solution to why this seems to be a progressive problem.

I have cleared out all temp folder info, memory doesnt seem to be being stretched thin when looking at the task manager. If I re-start Recap - it pulls up the entire project fine and I can navigate around without a problem but as soon as I go to delete a few poitns - lock up.

Any thoughst or help would be very appreciated.

Regards

Andy

90 REPLIES 90
Message 21 of 91

Haven't seen anything new nor seen an update that has fixed the issue.
Message 22 of 91
n_mccullough
in reply to: Hook13579

So I just installed the latest update (version 1.4.2.8) and they still haven't fixed the issue.

It's getting beyond a joke at this stage.

Message 23 of 91
Anonymous
in reply to: n_mccullough

Recap Pro version 1.2.149.506 does not have this problem.  I guess you are not using Pro and I don't know if the version #'s are the same and Pro is just the unlocked version (the start screens between the two are very different).

In the version above, I window/frame select and delete points 200 times in 20 minutes. It works as fast as my fingers can fly.  I undo 10 or so times and get scads of points undeleted and unselected.  The clipboard isn't an issue here.

I've been in talks with the Recap team on this issue and, though I'm no programmer, I have related (and it seems to me) that if the problem does not exist in that version and then exists in the next version....what changed?  Seems like a simple matter to test and isolate the things that were changed and figure out where the problem lies.   Then just don't do that thing that you do that's doodoo.   I would be screwed beyond belief if for some reason this version quit working for me through some authorization shenanigans by AutoDesk.

I think they should produce 1.2.149 as a current workaround, allowing customers to get work done.  When they figure it out (yes, it's been way too long!), we can all leave that version behind.

I test out the latest versions on another computer (because loading the latest version on my main computer wipes 1.2.149 out and I'm afraid I won't get it back) and so far, no bueno.  When I test a new version out and it starts working again, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Message 24 of 91
mlabell
in reply to: Anonymous

What I can say is that the problem is going to be resolved soon, anything more descriptive violates my NDA.  I agree the problem has taken very long to fix, but there was a lot more than rewrite a simple function/tweak a line of code.  The final product is worth the wait, the ReCap team has been very hard at work!  Smiley Happy

I have found that the January hotfix has slightly extended the spinning wheel of death from happening.

@Buck  the version for Pro/non-Pro is the same installed application, Pro features are triggered when a license is in place at your organization.  Also we had the same issue when on Pro version 1.2.149.  That is when we began to notice the issue and push the limits of ReCap. 

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr
Message 25 of 91
Anonymous
in reply to: mlabell

Thanks.

I really hope it goes completely away soon because I cannot evolve and comment on other things I have issue with because I'm not using the latest version.

I've heard the problem existed before, but I never had the problem before and 1.2.149 consistantly performs well.

Please hurry up with the fix so I can start complaining about other things 😉

Message 26 of 91
Hook13579

I'm excited that a fix is on its way... It's great to know it's being fixed as I find myself gravitating to utilizing Recap more and more over Scene.
Message 27 of 91
dedken

Ah, good news (ish) at last. Glad to hear it, and hope it is resolved by the next hotfix [...finds wood, touches it]. Getting this sorted will really improve job efficiency.Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 91
Anonymous
in reply to: boikie

Autodesk need to release band-aid solution at least then move on further cuz this isn't even funny anymore.

Message 29 of 91
Anonymous

I just ponied up for another installment of Pro licensing.  I cannot begin to tell you how I feel about that.

Message 30 of 91
pnancarrow

Hi Guys,
I am really just adding my experiences rather than commenting on a new issue it seems.
I have recently found the issue of Recap slowing down to the point of crashing when creating regions and deleting points.
Creating regions and isolating area is incredibly easy and intuitive when the point data is first loaded.
As per other comments on this forum, my project became slower and slower until it crashed. My desktop is brand new with i7 processor 32gb fast graphics and data accessed locally on N SSD drive. However I noticed the system was running at close to 100% capacity after creating maybe 20 regions.
I found that limiting regions definitely helped to avoid the dreaded spinning wheel.
Biggest drama I found was that after hours of editing I could not reopen the file after closing it.
As someone else commented our client was impressed when we told them what could be done to remove unwanted equipment etc from the scan data.
Unfortunately we could not deliver on our promise which was somewhat embarrassing.
If there is any news on an update to combat this it would be grey to hear.
Thanks
Message 31 of 91
Light_Guy

We are anxiously awaiting a fix to this problem as well. We need a hotfix for this while they work on v2.0. This is truly becoming an issue as we get deeper into the world of scanning.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 32 of 91
Anonymous

Eureka,

I've come to a  bandaid solution which is currently working on 30gb of park with trees everywhere.

Onve the spinning wheel starts to turn more than 30 sec,

1 Save the project.

2 Exit

3 Clear your Clipboard by running terminal and type "cmd.exe /c “echo off | clip"

or you could create a desktop shortcut with a link "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c “echo off | clip”

4. Relaunch Project

5. Repeat

I've pulled 3 hrs of work without delays dividing surface data and one above the surface.

I'll leave my progress in few hours

Message 33 of 91
f.scott.reed

this is great if it works!  Thanks.  I don't know why this would work and previous suggestions of clearing clipboard by copying something else doesn't work.  But I'lll give it a try.  

I found the following link on setting up a destop shortcut:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-clear-the-clipboard-in-w...

(I hope this works for Windows 7 in addition to Windows Vista.

Message 34 of 91
Hook13579

Hope it works for some as this is similar to what I first suggested and clearing of the clipboard didn't help certain people.

What version of Windows are you running? I've yet to find string of text or command that will clear the clipboard in Windows 8.1... your suggestions work in Vista and 7, but 8 has been a difficult find.

Message 35 of 91
Light_Guy

Sadly, this did not work for me. Mutliple attempts, reboots, still getting the spinner.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 36 of 91
richiee
in reply to: Light_Guy

We definitely haven't forgotten about this but it was a pretty major issue. There has been a LOT of work done on this bug and we're in the process of testing some things right now.

Message 37 of 91
Anonymous

I'm Running Windows 8.1 bootcamped on Macbook Pro.

One thing this didn't solve was the spinning wheel on grouping large number of points.

So when I wanted to group anything left behind.

I dragged whole lot of what was left behind took about half an hour and assigning all of them to a different region took about 45 minutes.

Message 38 of 91
Anonymous
in reply to: richiee

What is the status of this issue?  

Message 39 of 91
Light_Guy

Can we get a status on this issue? I have been watching the wheel spin for over 7 hours now and the amount of data being deleted is very minor. This is truly becoming insane.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 40 of 91
mlabell

Autodesk is not going to update in this field until a product is released because of NDA guidelines. If I was a betting man I would say that any updates would be released during typical Autodesk product release cycle which is at the end of the month to early April.
Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report