Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Points Recap getting slower..to the point of Program Not Responding

90 REPLIES 90
Message 1 of 91
boikie
4619 Views, 90 Replies

Deleting Points Recap getting slower..to the point of Program Not Responding

I have 18 FLS files that I registered in Scene, created a project folder in Recap and imported. I have a lot of cleaning to do on the road (quite a bit of traffic passing during the scanning). Starting out I cliped an area, fenced off somepoints and deleted them. unclipped the pointcloud, found the next area I wanted to clean and repeated the deleting process. After about 20 or so iterations I noticed the reveloving circle and the message Please Wait. This period of waiting got longer and longer with each next deleting process to the point of a standstill.

I have looked on the forum re: slowing down Recap - created a unified scan - again satrted off well but similarly bogged down.

Is it caching points or data some where? I am at a standstill on the project and need to find a solution to why this seems to be a progressive problem.

I have cleared out all temp folder info, memory doesnt seem to be being stretched thin when looking at the task manager. If I re-start Recap - it pulls up the entire project fine and I can navigate around without a problem but as soon as I go to delete a few poitns - lock up.

Any thoughst or help would be very appreciated.

Regards

Andy

90 REPLIES 90
Message 2 of 91
richiee
in reply to: boikie

Unfortunately we don't have a good workaround at this time beyond what you've already tried. The engineering team is currently aware of the issue and is working on it with the highest priority. We will let you know when we know more.

Message 3 of 91
brian
in reply to: richiee

I'm glad to hear you are working on this.  I experience the same problem when creating regions.  A couple of regions is fine but as I create more the project slows down dramatically, particluarly when I use the unclip all command.  Is this part of the same problem?

The regions function could be awesome if only it would work for an actual project.  My clients are impressed by the function when I demonstrate it but then I'm forced to tell them they can't use it extensively without bogging down the file.

Message 4 of 91
TFuller1980
in reply to: brian

Getting slower and slower for me as well as I try to delete points in a 115 scene capture (power plant).
Thomas N Fuller II
Message 5 of 91
mlabell
in reply to: TFuller1980

I desperately need this to work as well.  I have a client demanding that all demo'd utilities be moved to a region so that we can perform accurate clash against new design work.  There is no way we can do this right now and are completely stuck in the mud....

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr
Message 6 of 91
TFuller1980
in reply to: mlabell

I've been waiting 5 hours now for a limit box selection and point deletion operation to finish. I know it will finish, but every single additional point deletion operation keeps taking longer and longer. 

Thomas N Fuller II
Message 7 of 91
p2sjames
in reply to: TFuller1980

indeed, i commented here about it

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ReCap-Pro-General/Recap-100-usage/td-p/5127046

the only work around i have at the moment, is region what you dont need - export to PTS then resume!

not the best workflow!!!

scan2BIM - www.point2surveyors.com
Message 8 of 91
brian
in reply to: p2sjames

This has been a problem for 3 or 4 months now.  Can we expect a solution soon?

Message 9 of 91
Hook13579

This will sound like a very weird solution but it has worked for me..... It appears that when you delete points the program stores the deleted points in your "clipboard" which bogs down the system as its saves all of the points you deleted (I can only assume so you can "undo" quickly if need be). When I clear my clipboard the system speeds back up and Recap no longer loads when I am cleaning up my scans. FYI... Windows 8.1 doesn't allow you to clear your clipboard anymore, so I open excel, put a single letter in a cell, copy it, paste it in another cell, and then jump back into Recap.

Very important note, you have to save and exit Recap fully before you attempt to clear your clipboard. Recap won't allow your clipboard to be cleared if its up and running.

Let me know if this works for all of you as it randomly did for me.

Message 10 of 91
PatrickByrne
in reply to: Hook13579

Hi THook,

the issue is still there, hopefully they get around to solving this soon. The ability to delete points is a major one but this issue makes the program unworkable.

The only way I could get around it was to export a RCS file and start a new project

Message 11 of 91
n_mccullough
in reply to: PatrickByrne

6 months later, and this still hasn't been fixed. Come on Autodesk, sort it out. The only reason I use Recap is for cleaning up a point cloud. It's not much use if it freezes.
Message 12 of 91
dedken
in reply to: n_mccullough

I thought Autodesk might have sorted it out by now? Maybe by release 2.0 then...

I would advise SCENE users to do bulk editing there (removing points using scan point clouds 3D view) and export only slices of what you need to Recap. The only reason for me to import whole FLS files into Recap is to acquire the RCP format for insertion into Navis, far too much pain involved in doing serious editing there.

Message 13 of 91
n_mccullough
in reply to: dedken

Unfortunately I did my registration in Trimble Realworks, with the intention of bringing it into Recap to clean it up. There are 286 scans in this project, so you can imagine the headaches it's giving me.

I still haven't sorted it out. I've even updated to the latest version of Recap today, and guess what? It still isn't fixed!

So now, I'm using the limit box in recap to export the project in about 30 separate RCS files. This is a slow process, but hopefully it will be worth it. My intention is to import 1 RCS file, clean it, and then export it again. I'm hoping that A: I won't get slowdown issue, as I'll be working with much smaller files, and B: when I import them back inton the final cloud, they will retain their original positions.
Message 14 of 91
dedken

So... how does one empty one's clipboard...?

Also is there a way in the registry to limit the size of clipboard Recap uses?

Message 15 of 91
Aj.Noto.SG

I tried the clearing-the-clipboard method without any luck. Thanks for the tip anyway...

Autodesk, any update on the fix for this issue?

Message 16 of 91
f.scott.reed
in reply to: Aj.Noto.SG

it was so validating to see this lengthy thread on an issue that has been giving me fits. Last night I totally ditched about 3 days worth of work and started over completely because the Recap file had become unworkable. One commenter mentioned that the file opens and navigates fine if closed down. That has not been my experience. Deleting trash and creating regions (a Brilliant tool if it worked) created LONG wait times just to select points, much less delete them and "unclip all".  Even the act of opening this file that previously took 30 seconds to fill in ended up taking 30 minutes before I killed the program. That's when I decided to start completely from scratch.  I now have only 3 regions created and I deleted only the worst trash.

Agree with another comment, that left unfixed, Recap is just a fomat changer from scanner-format to RCP - and not much more. Hopeful for a fix soon!

Message 17 of 91
brian
in reply to: f.scott.reed

It's quite frustrating.  There have been 5 or 6 updates to recap since this came up on the forum.  Seems like it would be something they would address.

Message 18 of 91
richiee

I've been checking in with the engineering team every couple of days on this and they're still very much working on it. Long story short, while it seems like it should be a simple fix, they uncovered some larger problems and decided to re-work a sizable chunk of the underlying code to help keep things like this from re-occuring down the road as scans continue to get larger and even more dense.

I know it doesn't make the problem any less painful, but I can assure you that we are focused on trying to make sure everything is done the right way rather than 'good enough... for now'.

Message 19 of 91
brian
in reply to: boikie

Thanks for the update. It's good to know its in progress.
Message 20 of 91
travis_cadnetics
in reply to: richiee

Anything new?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report