Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more than one instant

more than one instant

is it possible to have more than one instant of recap open on the same computer, or just like AutoCAD can you have more than one project open in one instant under Window.

9 Comments
MarcZinck
Alumni

Only once instance of ReCap 360 can be run on a machine at one time.

Could you provide more insight as to your specific use case for using two instances simultaneously?

weno2DGBN
Explorer

Definitely the ability on spec'd out machines to run multiple RCS exports. I can export 3 projects from Scene currently at 1 time on 3 separate SSD drives and because you can only run one Recap at a time, it can actually generate a backlog of projects that require the final export. Additionally if you were to run a terrestrial scan project and the accompanying drone project, the goal would be to have them finish at the same time.   

Regards.

bashar_dawood
Enthusiast
Dear Marc,
I have more than one scanner, and I got few sites to shoot all at the same time, at the end of the day, I load all the scans into my system. At the current setting, I have to have few computers to process everything before the next morning. If I can have more than one instant running on my system I would have all these sites processed at the same time.
Regards
Bashar Dawood
esperj
Alumni

Hi Bashar,

Do you know about our command line application called DeCap that ships with ReCap 360?

If you open up a command prompt and go to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk ReCap 360" (or where ever you have ReCap 360 installed) type decap.exe and view the usage.  You should be able to use the --importWithLicense option to help save you some time with importing your projects if you have a Pro license.

Thanks

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

the.misvit
Observer

I've read a number of these requests and typically someone (autodesk employee?) asks for the "specific instance in your workflow" like the request is a rare event.  

Let it be known that architects deal with this all the time.  We pay a 3rd party to scan a building and get 5-20 .rcp files, including an exterior, roof, level 1, level 2, stair, basement, etc.  We could theoretically stitch these files together, but there's no way to trust the stitched product, plus now we're talking processing time.  What we want to do is bring multiple floors up at once, or the exterior and first floor, or the stair as compared to a floor, and take some dimensions and then infer our own measurements of how it should be stitched together, combined with our own measurements in field.  

Why is this important?  Well, I've seen scans where the exterior face of glazing from the exterior.rcp shows up inside the interior face of glazing.  Or where the floor heights per the scans are inches off from the laser/measuring tape of the floor to floor at the stairs. 

The TL:DR is that somewhere between the software and the actual scanners, the "within 1/100 of an inch accurate" models are suspect and ultimately worth very little, but someone's convinced an owner to pay for them and now we're supposed to use them.  We're constantly having to check .rcps against other .rcps and against our own measurements.  PLEASE let us open multiple copies.

Kevin_Laskowski
Contributor

Workflow (saveas) to remove deleted points is taking 10 mins per scan. project has 33 scans. I could be cleaning the next project at the same time. Instead, I have to use a second computer. Opening more than one session at a time has value for those that get multiple projects daily.  

culley.parris
Observer

We scan large areas in zones and don't want to tie them together because the scans get too big and unwieldy, but there are times I want to see two zones at once... and I don't want to spend an hour and many gigs of storage temprarily joining them together.  I would seriously use this constantly if it was available.  I have PLENTY of RAM.  Plenty of processing power.

parris
Community Visitor

Seriously, I have $10K computer with a lot of screaming hardware that is only partially utilized by a single session of recap... looking at multiple zone scans at a time, or editing while importing... would be huge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report