Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting real survey coordinates from Recap

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1170 Views, 5 Replies

Getting real survey coordinates from Recap

Hi,

I really need help with this. We recently did a laser scan with a faro of a site. We picked up the entire site along with specific targets along the way. The surveyor with me used a total station to get real survey points of these targets.

In the registration in recap, I applied the northing, easting and height coordinates to those targets using the survey targets feature. 

Is this the solution ? it seems too easy

The end product we need is: when we are in the realview, using the measure distance feature: that the xyz coordinates that are being shown are relative to the survey coordinates we inputted. 

The accuracy doesnt need to be incredibly precise, within a couple of inches would suffice. 

I would really appriciate any help or advice that you might be able to offer. 

Brain is currently fried trying to find a solution.

Thanks, 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ryan.frenz
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like you've got it right - ReCap will take all of the survey targets you give and perform a best-fit (least-squares) alignment of the ReCap project to those coordinates.

You can get an indication of the quality of this alignment from the registration report page(s).

If you have checkerboard or sphere targets, make sure the use the extraction tool to get the most accurate center point (don't just click on them with the red/green/blue markers).

RegReport.jpgTargetTool.JPG

-Ryan

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Hi,

Thanks Ryan, 

I think my biggest problem is that I just dont have enough targets with survey coordinates. For 10 scans i have 4 targets with correct survey data. 

Im getting a high rms which is probably causing the error. 

Still prefer to register in recap over any other registration process though.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
ryan.frenz
in reply to: Anonymous

Try double-checking your coordinates - you mentioned Northing/Easting but I believe ReCap requires XYZ (Easting/Northing) in meters only.  The XY flip could cause a large RMS error.

-Ryan

Message 5 of 6

Also, import only 2 or 3 scans for a start.

Make sure the 2 or 3 scans can see the 4 survey points

then make the manual registration

Save and SaveAs the Recap project (to have a backup)

Test the realviews and other functionality if it uses the right coordinates.

Then import the rest of the scans, hopefully it will work with the autoregistration then, otherwise you will need to  manually register the rest of the scans.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Hi, I actually tried that but the laptop im using kept crashing when i reloaded the project. But i could see how that would help. Thanks,

Will the positioning of the origin affect my xyz in a considerable way ? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report